Saturday 31 January 2009

Rant 295 / CNY Ain't Over Yet!

Why do so many people say they tried their best when they did no such thing?

I believe most of us don't really know what "our best" really is. No one dares to test his limits, therefore no one knows how hard to push to be at their best.

Seriously, if everyone knows their limits, then why would there be such phrases as "beyond my limits" and "at my 110%"? Obviously, people who thought they did more than their best didn't know what their best was.

It is impossible to go beyond your limits because you'll collapse either physically or mentally. You'd come close to killing yourself if you do your best. To pant a little when you run isn't your best. If you didn't grind your joints to dust, or at the very least, feel as if your lungs are on fire, that wasn't your best.









One guy I know has an uncanny knack of being antisocial naturally. By "antisocial", I don't mean quiet and reluctant to participate in conversations; I am referring to the other definition which can be summarized in one word: asshole.

He wasn't always like that but as time passed his behaviour just degenerated from friendly to barely civil. I don't even need to irritate him to hear thinly-veiled insults.

I have an example in the form of a recent conversation. By the way, I set my Messenger to automatically record all conversations because I sometimes accidentally close my chatboxes and occasionally forget what I say.

Here it an excerpt with the grammar slightly editted. I'll name him A, and the other as B and C.

...
B: Ok creating game. C: A, want to play DotA? A: Only the 3 of us? A: Ok just 1 round. A: Don't want to lose too often.


There are others but this is good enough to illustrate my point. First of all, he isn't playing DotA competitively. Second, the wins/losses aren't recorded anywhere. Third, he isn't that great a player himself.

I wasn't part of it because I was AFK, but after seeing that when I returned, I just left the chat. We are old friends, but at this point, he doesn't seem to remember that fact. The way he grudgingly agreed feels more like he was just trying to humour them just so that they wouldn't ask more questions.

Once he refused to play with another old friend just because he "didn't want to lose". So fine, that friend wasn't good at the game at all, but c'mon these are the only opportunities to interact with the gang during school term and he's rejecting it. I'd always thought that it wasn't necessary to keep asking him to join us in anything because he doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with us, but it feels inappropriate to say this about a guy I've known for over a decade.

So if you are one of those who know what I'm talking about, stop forcing him to join us. He has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't want to play with us. Let it be. All he does is sulk and whine anyway. The only times when he seems to be able able to win at DotA is when he's in a very good team, and he doesn't seem to recognize the implications of that. Either that or he's deluding himself intentionally so that he won't an hero.

(If you still don't get what "an hero" means, try to picture how you would hold the gun above and where it points.)

This meme originated from the Virginia Tech massacre in which the Korean guy kill lots of people before committing suicide. People on 4chan called him a hero but some of them made typos, calling him "an hero". Somehow it stuck and thus "an hero" means committing suicide with or without killing other people beforehand.









My comp is going crazy. Just now when I closed my Garena client and Warcraft 3, my Rainmeter said that CPU usage was at 100%. For some reason, everything opened only slightly slower, not the usual dramatic lag I'd experience when the comp is very busy.

When it didn't stop after a minute, I press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Task Manager. The first thing I noticed was that there were multiple svchost.exe running simultaneously. I'm not sure if that is normal, but I googled "mulitple svchost.exe" and every single link given were labelled "This website may harm your computer."

Seriously, all the links were thus labelled. So I googled something else just to test it out, using "piratebay". It was the same - each link was labelled as harmful. So I clicked on piratebay.org and it gave me a malware warning.

What the heck?

Right away, I did the only thing I know would solve minor problems - restarting the comp. It worked. Now everything is back to normal, but I still see 13 instances of svchost.exe running.

Apparently, this isn't abnormal because svchost.exe is a part of Windows. So, nothing wrong here. But something has to be wrong with my comp or all those labels wouldn't be there and CPU usage wouldn't have risen to the max if nothing was wrong.

I just don't know what the problem is.

3 comments:

  1. hi, new to the site, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not how an hero started at all, retard. The start of an hero was when some little kid lost his iPod and killed himself over it. Then, his friends and family called him a hero for killing himself, but they misspelled it and said an hero. Who are your sources? They are horribly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevertheless, I'm disinclined to make changes to these old posts. I'd like to preserve them as they are so that I'll always be reminded that there is no such thing as "the good old days".

    So I'll just publish your comment instead. Thanks for pointing out the mistake. There are probably hundreds more in the rest of my blog though.

    ReplyDelete