Saturday 3 January 2009

Rant 256 / 16^2 Posts

Since I'm no longer nocturnal (my sleeping hours suddenly and inexplicably reverted to the norm a few days ago), I'm unable to play Persona on my PS2 most of the time during the day. So I've finally installed Left4Dead on my com. Tried on my bro's comp before and it was fantastic. But the installation was a little tricky, especially since I'm not playing with a valid cd-key.

Click the link to the media page where you can see the screenshots and the intro movie. The movie is actually very similar to the game itself.

It's really good, even for me, and I used to hate small games.

It is similar to the zombies in 28 Days Later because the normal zombies run. And not just the jogging sort of run - they freaking sprint at the sight of you and climb wire fences and even up to your second floor windows. They often come in large numbers, ie 10-20 at one shot and these are the times when the bosses should strike.

Once when I was a zombie, my team took out the entire survivor team in one such moment. It was like one second all I saw were zombies flooding over them and the next second I pounced at the nearest survivor and downed him. The next thing I saw was the whole survivor team lying next to the guy I was on because the rest of my zombie team were doing exactly what I was doing.

It's a very fast game so I had to set my mouse sensitivity to about 5.5, which is not very high, I think. My bro's usually set to about 7-8. And of course, max sensitivity in the Windows Control Panel.

The graphics are not very demanding

Anyway, here's how anyone can play L4D the way they can play DotA for free.

Download Garena(something like Zion) here. Then download and install a copy of L4D from any torrent website like Piratebay or Demonoid (Google these names for their links). Then follow the instructions here. Virus scan for everything before opening.

For an English translation of the instructions from that page, read on.

1. Download the hl2.exe provided.
2. Download either of the 2 versions of engine.dll provided. If you don't have STEAM, use the NOSTEAM version. STEAM isn't necessary to play on Garena anyway. Passwords are provided too.
3. Download Garena as I've mentioned above.
4. Extract your hl2.exe to the same folder which contains your left4dead.exe.
5. Extract your engine.dll to the "bin" folder in your left4dead folder. Make sure the "bin" folder is the one that already has a engine.dll before extracting.
6. The instructions from this part on are on how to use Garena, which you can read in English from here.

The Game List in Garena is empty and you have to wait for someone to host and paste their IPs on the chatbox. To join a game,
1. Go to Options, then Keyboard/Mouse and enable the Developers' Console.
2. Press ~ (below Esc) and type connect [Host IP] and press Enter.

You can highlight the IPs in the chat and press right-click and press copy, then go into the game's console and use Ctrl+V to paste the IP in.

Do these fast because sometimes they already have friends in the game and have only 1-2 slots for pubs.

This game is good even in Single Player, but it always feels better to play with human players. And AI zombies are never as sneaky as human-controlled ones.


EDIT: Here's an even better guide to playing L4D on Garena.





Why is it that most people are uncomfortable with a fan blowing right at them at max speed? I've always found it a necessity in this tropical climate. The only thing I dislike about it is that when I handle papers, it gets really annoying, especially when I forget to put something on loose sheets of paper.

In fact, once in a while at night when it does get cool enough, I turn off my fan and I would notice the silence in my right ear (because the fan is on my right blowing at at me). Always feels as if something is blocking the ear because of the sudden change.







On the 18th of November 2008, US$1 = Z$ 661,229,327,046,568,000. Wanna be a multi-trillionaire?

Holy cow, the Z$ is worth less than the Hell money we burn... Does it mean the economy down there is better than the present Zimbabwean one???









So I found out now, after over 2 decades of living on Earth, that if someone doesn't talk to me unless I initiate the conversation, it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't want to talk to me. LOL!

This assumption was made by using myself as a guide. Whenever someone initiates a conversation with me on Messenger, I'm usually busy doing something/playing games and generally not in the mood to talk. Happens 99% of the time. Antisocial me :(

Which is why I either don't turn on my Messenger or Appear Offline when I want to know if someone is online, especially for DotA.

No comments:

Post a Comment