Saturday 17 January 2009

Rant 273 / My First Attempt At Curing Food


Here's a little bowl of phail. My gravlax looks no different from salmon sashimi in this picture. However in reality, it is darker in colour. It is slightly tougher than fresh raw salmon and very salty. The dill also adds an extra flavour that I never knew about. My bro associated the flavour of dill with "plastic". T.T

The messy look is the result of my shitty slicing skill. A noob trying to be pro. Haven't even mastered the proper use of a knife and I'm already trying to slice sashimi.

It is actually very much like eating very salty salmon sashimi. The dill flavour is, in fact, quite light and doesn't interfere with the unique fishy salmon flavour. And dill does not taste unpleasant. It does remotely taste like "plastic" but that's because it's quite different from most herbs we use in Singapore and I can't really come up with anything similar to it.

All in all, this is actually quite simple to make and can be stored for some time. Cured in salt and pepper, so it can be refridgerated for extended periods of time. 3-4 days seemed fine. A week shouldn't be a problem. The longer it's cured, the stronger the dill flavour.

Good for sandwiches. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment