Sunday 22 April 2012

Rant 982 / Post-apocalyptic Psychiatry

Been watching a few movies. I had missed almost every film released last year, so I can now afford to watch one every dinner for a while.

Today it was The Divide, a movie about several people who survived a nuclear strike in a basement that had been turned into some kind of emergency shelter by this guy who was a fireman involved in the 9/11 incident.

So anyway, I notice that in all the post-apocalyptic film I've watched so far, it's always been about how people would turn barbaric when faced with survival issues after a while.

This made me wonder what would happen in a film about a group of people who survived an apocalyptic event... if they were all shrinks (aka therapists).

To make things worse, they managed to survive in the basement of a mental institution where both food and medical supplies are plentiful.

How would it end?





















It used to be my idea of life that I'd either know what to do or be told about it.

That's not all there is to life.

Right now a lot of things that I do, I do them because there's no one else.

That's normal.

I'm not saying I like it. In fact I'd rather not be doing any of it, but life isn't just about making it the ideal one we have in our minds.

When they say that life is about how you want it to be, that you can choose how you live your life, they aren't talking about that perfect life you've always dreamt about.

No, that isn't it.

The problem here is that in obtaining and maintaining the possession of them you must sometimes do things that you would prefer to avoid.

In my case, I want to preserve this business and I am interested in trading, yet I'm neither interested in fashion nor conversations. Meanwhile I've been observing my own behaviour and confirmed that I'm more interested in games, cooking and reading, none of which is going to help me become a better judge of fashion trends.

This is what I'm talking about. Life is about the things you want but it's not about that ideal carefree life on a tropical beach for eternity.

If I'm going to find someone else to run this business for me, it's going to take time. Years. Many years.

Not to mention quite a bit of legal advice.

There's no law in Singapore that forbids a person from owning multiple businesses, so that's my plan in the long term. Maybe in 10-15 years' time.

I'd ask my bro but he's just a more extreme version of myself. He couldn't even talk to our mother, let alone buyers.

Of course everything can be learnt, just like what I'm doing now, but clearly he's just not interested.

Maybe once he gets a job and gets a taste of what it's like to work as an employee, he might suddenly love to run a business and have the motivation to learn. Right now though, he's not the person I'd envision running the business in the long term.

I can't even see him chatting with the suppliers nor the buyers.

Not that I can chat with some of them but I'm trying.



















Sniper Elite looks interesting and I'm pretty sure sniper fans will like the game a lot. While the bullet physics appear more realistic than that of most other games, the realism is a lot worse in most of the other aspects of the game.

For one, the player is a lone sniper fighting against entire platoons of soldiers. That's like two unrealistic points combined. Snipers work in pairs and snipers do not engage in prolonged firefights. They work mostly as scouts and do not just kill random soldiers unless it's necessary, like the ones that were defending an area in some episodes of Band of Brothers.

Another point is how easy it appeared to hit a vital part of the body. Once I totally saw that the bullet had hit the liver or kidney and that was counted as a "vital hit". What? You might as well label the entire body as one vital organ!
















Bought some mint leaves last week. Now I'm making random minty juice-and-gin cocktails.

Because lamb is expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment