Saturday 7 April 2012

Rant 969 / I Almost Mistook Today For Saturday

I really like the gestures for multitasking on the tablet, like swiping the four fingers up to bring up the taskbar and closing the fingers to minimize the app. Very convenient and, frankly, feels cool too.





Also found this game app called "Infected". Graphics kinda suck and the music is cheesy IMO but it's about defending against zombies.

It's kinda like... RTS, I guess, except your units don't move once each invasion begins.

Each round begins with a map of an urban area with some civilians and sometimes a zoo (I'll get to this later).

You are given a few minutes, some cash and a list of available units and vehicles. Within the short period of time, you have to set up defenses around the civilians and perhaps the entrance of the zoo to ensure that the civilians and animals stay safe when the zombies attack.

These attacks last several minutes, during which you can still place additional units and vehicles and use abilities.

All that cost money which can be earned from killing zombies and having surviving civilians at the end of each mission.

Civilians also level up each time they survive a mission and the rewards for the survival increase after every several levels.

Protecting the zoo is optional although it's a very good idea to do that as far as I can tell.

If zombies each the zoo entrance, the animals within get zombified and you don't want to fight a zombie elephant.

The problem with this game is that a lot of the good stuff cost Ziomonds, a currency that cost real cash. Players can also earn a bit of those for free from doing crap like the usual FB stuff and visiting their website.

For example, I'll never be able to get the SWAT officer who is basically an improved version of the basic NYC Cop. Not that I really care.

What do I mind is that I can't get any of the vehicles other than the NYC Taxi which makes a decent blockade so far.

At level 9, I've already unlocked the School Bus and the Sports Car. The former is an elongated version of the taxi and its usefulness as a blockade is obvious. The latter explodes with less delay which isn't really a very useful ability.

There are also the APC and Tank which can serve as blockades and fire at enemies at the same time but the ziomond costs of just 5 APCs is roughly what I can get in 2-3 weeks and the Tank is double that.

There's also the multiplayer mode but I haven't tried it yet.














I'm also kinda impressed by the battery life of this iPad. Maybe I'm new to tablets but I was surprised when the battery remained at 100% after a whole morning and half the afternoon in locked mode with no app running but connected to wifi.

Never has that happened for any of my phones in the past and usually, even now, my phones aren't connected to the wifi so I'm talking about just the phone connection (or whatever it's called) and nothing else and that alone usually drains the battery.

With one or two apps on running simultaneously, it can still last for a whole day.

With about five apps, it needs to be recharged in the evening.

Perhaps that's why the new iPad is heavier than its predecessors.













Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective looks fun. Too bad it costs US$10.















Whatsapp. Hah! What a problem it turned out to be.

First, I discovered that wifi drains my phone's battery way more quickly than I'd like.

Second, work found me via Whatsapp.

My solution to these was simple - turn off wifi when I'm not downloading anything.

Third was the multiple occasions where something annoying kept happening in conversations. When you post a message in a room with 10 other people and nobody replies after an entire evening, you know it's time to rethink the situation.

Seriously, even a negative reply is better than nothing and from my observations, I seem to be the only one getting ignored.

Like on April Fools' Day when I tried to spread the message that Skidrow released a crack of Diablo 3, the complete silence turned the joke into an epic fail.

Playing an April Fools' Day prank and getting completely ignored? You can't imagine the awkwardness that followed!

Or at least on my end.

And that's just one occasion.

It is a cruel joke to keep pulling me into chats in Whatsapp if that's the way things are going to be.

If I can't be left alone, the only other option is to leave myself alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment