Tuesday 10 April 2012

Rant 973 / 4G

The IDA is going to auction 4G frequencies next year.

The Infocomm Development Authority said it intends to put 320 megahertz (Mhz) of fourth generation (4G) spectrum up for auction in the first half of next year.

A cap of 90 Mhz will be imposed on individual incumbent providers to prevent excessive hoarding by any one company, the IDA said.

New entrants to the industry may bid for the remaining 40 Mhz.

This sounds like an incredible opportunity if you ask me. 4G, a much faster mobile broadband than the current 3G, is definitely going to be huge in a place like Singapore.








































So I discovered this Remee on Kickstarter and got interested in lucid dreaming.

It's simply an eye mask with LED lights and a timer, and it works by blinking after several hours when a person should be in REM sleep according to various sleep studies.

The blinking would then make the user realise he's in a dream, hence turning it into a lucid dream.

I'm kinda on the fence here. It's unproven, for one. Besides, would it just simply wake me up instead?

For US$95 ($80 + $15 shipping), I don't think this is worth it.

Moreover, it's an aid, not something that would induce lucid dreams with immediate effect.

So I've decided to try out the Wake-Back-To-Bed (WBTB) method before actually spending money on anything. So far I can kinda remember two things - a dream and something that's sort of like a dream except it was caused by the loud banging noise from outside in the morning. Like I was visualising in my dreaming state what could be producing the noise.

According to multiple online guides, this is the first step to lucid dreaming in the WBTB method, which is the easiest method meant for beginners.

This method, in short, requires the person to wake up after 4-6 hours of sleep, stay up for a while, and then going back to sleep.

To improve the effectiveness, a person can mix it with other methods like MILD and also recall his dreams like I did.

I believe recalling dreams is the first step to recognizing recurring dreams. Since the average person pretty much lives the same routines all the time, generally speaking, it makes sense that we would have similar dreams all the time.

The only disadvantage of this method is that it disrupts my sleep cycle, something I'm only too familiar with. Therefore, I do not plan to do this frequently if I ever get it to work.

To recall dreams, the first step, according to online guides, is to stay still right after you wake up in the morning and try to remember your dreams. It's like when I wake up for no apparent reasons at night and I try to go back to sleep by slowing down my breathing, relaxing and keeping my eyes closed, except now I try to dig up memories of my dreams.

Not easy, really. It felt like grabbing at water - I keep almost remembering some of them and somehow they just vanished from my mind, leaving just the impression that I managed to recall something... but recall what?

According to the guide on Lucidipedia, I have to recall at least two dreams regularly before I can move on to the actual WBTB technique.

I've hit one, so one more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment