Tuesday 10 April 2012

Rant 972 / Nobody Said Everything Had To Be Used As They Were Intended

Lawmakers in Arizona are trying to mess with time.

Under Arizona’s H.B. 2036, the state would recognize the start of the unborn child’s life to be the first day of its mother’s last menstrual period. The legislation is being proposed so that lawmakers can outlaw abortions on fetuses past the age of 20-weeks, but the verbiage its authors use to construct a time cycle for the baby would mean that the start of the child's life could very well occur up to two weeks before the mother and father even ponder procreating.

What the heck??

In other words, if this law is passed, all fetuses will legally be 2-weeks-old the moment they come into existence, pun unintended.

I'm not a big fan of abortion because of the responsibility issue, but this law is ridiculous on multiple levels.

TBH I'm starting to wonder what sort of people are making the laws over in that American state. Do they really think about what they're doing?




















I should have done this a right after I bought the Blog Docs app but I didn't. Now that I have, I'm excited that it works!

This is what I got when I sent it to my Dropbox folder. Apparently it only saves it as a HTML document which is opened by my Firefox by default.



It looks ugly but it's functional.

I should also consider adding more spacing between each column so that the absence of lines won't cause the table to become a confusing mess of numbers.

I'm also considering buying another ipad for my workers so that they can switch to this instead of recording everything on paper. It's very messy after while.

My current concern is that it's kinda expensive and not very necessary. I have no worries about them learning to use it when monkeys in Wisconsin have learnt to use it to play videos and music. I mean, if I tell them that they probably will try harder to learn to use it.

It's not that hard, really. If I do get them one, I'll also post enlarged screenshots/photos in a step-by-step guide on how to open the app and save it.

Maybe in the future when I have more money to splurge on quasi-necessary things.






Now that the screen is slightly oily from frequent usage, I'm starting to feel alright about rubbing my fingers on the surface.





















Today I somehow was in the mood for semi-vegetarian meals, so after having a beijing-cabbage-with-carrot dish for lunch, I had a simple salad and a piece of fried salmon for dinner.



While frying the salmon I decided to try doing it without a shirt on because it was hot.

Nope, bad idea.

The salad had too much onion. I used a butterhead lettuce, half a tomato and half a red onion in each bowl. I should probably reduce it to a quarter of an onion per lettuce next time. Also used the Kraft French salad dressing because that was the only creamy salad dressing I have at home. All the rest are the vinegar-and-oil sort.





















MFW they're all DUDES!



DUDES!

And at 3:13, that's a DUDE TOO! WITH THOSE HIPS!



















Why do they worry about the change in the Chinese language caused by online communication?

And this is a change, nothing more. This isn't the first nor the last time a language adapts to major societal changes, just the most rapid one that we've ever seen.

But Professor Ding said there is no cause for panic yet. He feels that Chinese as a language is evolving as China develops economically and socially.

"This can be called an era of sudden change. And the evolution of language now will make us feel a little helpless and astonished. But the development of society will reach a point of stability and these sudden changes will pass, as history has shown," he said.

This is what I'm trying to say. There's no need to fear the "destruction" of the language when all records of it, in many formats, will still be around for a very long time. That would be like mourning the death of Old and Middle Chinese, or Old and Middle English.

And, there will always be foreign students like Thawithak whose fascination with traditional Chinese will keep the language alive for some time to come.

Bah! There are plenty of videos, recordings and texts of this version of the Chinese language!

What about how Beijing is trying to eliminate the various southern "dialects" in China? Or how they're called "dialects" in the first place despite the fact they're technically as good as individual languages in their own rights.

And why don't they talk about the immense changes in Mandarin after the fall of the Qing Dynasty?

Worry about Mandarin, the most common language in the world? Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment