Tuesday 26 July 2011

Rant 820 / Talk Is Cheap Yet Silence Is Golden

Spent an entire day doing nothing at my camp for "briefing". Since everything regarding the briefing is supposed to be classified information, I'll not push my luck by blogging about it despite my low readership of (still) below 100 per day.

I spent an entire day in the camp, from 7.15am to 6pm, and I still don't know wtf my role is. Sure, I know the name of the position and sure, I know I'm in "Company HQ" which is outside of any platoon, but I still have no idea what it is about!

Best of all, neither does anyone else.

I'm not even joking. It's like it's so "top secret" even my officers, sergeants and myself are not supposed to know what I do.

And I'm not alone. There were like 6 of us there being referred to as "the HQ people".

Wtf does that even mean anyway? It sounds kinda demeaning and offensive, like we had some kind of special needs or something.

So yea, I spent almost 11 hours in the camp and never found out what the heck I was there for.

We just tagged along with the rest of the company everywhere but kept to ourselves as a group.

They called it "bonding". They could call it "bondage" for all I care since we're all bound it whether we like it or not.

Well, as long as I get paid, I really don't mind doing nothing and knowing nothing. I don't get paid extra if I do anyway.



Met some old friends there, mostly from my NS unit. Also met CY who was doing absolutely nothing as an officer with no specific duties. Like us "HQ people", he was just "tagging along" with the company.

I guess it really sucks as an officer or sergeant for reservists. For our unit just for this one-day briefing, they had to come to camp an extra day just yesterday in order to get briefed by the CO and prepare for today. The organization was so bad before today, they were instructed to arrive at 7.30am when they were only expected in the afternoon. The nominal rolls, aka the name lists, were ready only by late afternoon.

Awesome admin staff.

Oh, and they stayed back for more briefing after we left. CY offered me a ride home when we first met but in the end I went back on my own because he had to attend a briefing by the CO and he had no idea how long it would last.











Dammit. I'm seeing so many photos of people going for durian buffets in JB, Malaysia this month! Mainly because it's now durian season.

I've got to organize such a trip next year. I'm missing so much durian.









Fuck it. I'm going to use that email for my relatives too.

No comments:

Post a Comment