Tuesday 5 July 2011

Rant 806 / Sleeping On Many Things



I don't really agree with this list. Crocodile soup, mud cakes and sea lamprey don't belong in this list IMO. But the rest, I wouldn't dare to try.

Also, where's balut?









Things that one should not google for: "2girls1cup", "tubgirl", "blue waffle" and "meatspin".










Hellgate is out. Has been since the beginning of this month. Forgot about it while I was busy on Dungeon Siege and Cities XL 2011. Download's pretty fast on torrent (433kb/s atm).

As for Cities XL 2011, I just learnt I can't get the best city by just building one lone metropolis.

The main reason is that the higher level stuff require low air pollution but the foundation of the economy, the heavy industries, must pollute the air. The best solution is to build the heavy industries in a different city altogether and trade with the clean city.

Which is pretty much like real life.

I learnt about this when I noticed that my business hotels were dying off one after another. Business hotels rely on offices - the more offices I have, the more business hotels I need. The problem is that although I have allocated large tracts of land for office towers, they weren't being developed.

So I looked at the info menu of random offices that were built and saw that the Quality of Life factor was red, ie bad. This, in turn, is mainly influenced by pollution, both air and noise, the only kinds of pollution in the game.

Noise pollution was minimal in my city, which only gets it from the 10-15 wind turbines in my industrial zone. Didn't invest too much into it because it was too much money for too little power.

Air pollution, in contrast, was represented by a significantly sized red patch above my heavy industrial zones and manufactoring district. Even the farms were making losses nearby despite only being in the yellowish green slightly polluted area (now I know not to put my industrial zones near the fertile land).












I feel like forking out the US$50 for the THQ Complete Pack. Since it is a significant sum of money, I'm going to sleep on it. Postponing my decisions overnight helps prevent me from making rash ones. For example, last night I wanted to buy Defense Grid (US$2.49 plus 3 map packs at US$0.24 each) but today I decided it is unlikely I will play it for long.

THQ Complete Pack, on the other hand, has Company of Heroes with expansion (which I haven't tried), Metro2033 (which I've long decided I'd buy some day just to support the developers), and the complete set of Dawn of War 2. The rest are unnecessary bonuses that I may try.

$50 for the above games I've named is a pretty good deal since they normally cost about $100. Then there are 7 games and 1 expansion that I treat as freebies, only one of which I'm absolutely not going to bother to try - AX vs ATV Reflex.

Good deal? Good deal I think, at the moment.

Like I said, I'm going to sleep on it and decided near the end of the sale which is on the 10th. Six more days to consider.

Who knows? I may find all the games I want among the next few Daily Deals and pay even less, albeit for no freebies. But a lack of freebies isn't a major concern.





Meanwhile, Steam is down for some reason. It was fine earlier today but now at 6.30pm, I can't load TF2.

And I spent money on TF2. US$0.99 spent on a Medic melee weapon mainly for the premium status.

Not planning to spend more although I still have US$4.01 in my Steam Wallet.

Anyway, nice sales trick there, the Steam Wallet. By only allowing customers to add in increments of $5 at least, it makes us spend more than necessary and raise the possibility than we might have some loose change left that makes us spend even more. Chances are, we would have to add more money into the Steam Wallet to buy what we want.

Evidence: many of the games are priced at $XX.99, $X.19, $X.49.

Obviously many people are going to have some spare change remaining after buying what they want. If you don't buy more, they win. If you spend them, it's very possible the remaining cents won't be enough even for an indie game on discount, hence making you spend again, and they still win.

Like in my case, I have $4.01 remaining.

How am I supposed to spend exactly $4.01 and still get only what I want?

I can't. The smallest multiple of 9 that has 1 as the last digit is 81.











This is kinda insulting yet hilarious.

When I googled the term "bangla worker", the first image I got was not something I expected.

This is a screenshot of the results:



For non-Singaporeans, that's our President. I'm not sure what Google is trying to tell me...








OMG It's Fallout New Vegas for $15!!!

And Trine for $2!

I'm so tempted...

I'm going to sleep on these too.

No comments:

Post a Comment