Thursday 21 July 2011

Rant 817 / The Crossbow In Killing Floor Is Awesome

Currently in the Dungeon campaign at the mission where I stopped last time.

I've just come up with a new strategy for the Dungeon race in HoMM V.

Usually I'd just use one tough unit in battle. It would take all the ranged damage while I kill everything with my spells.

This strategy is often used when the enemy either has a hero or ranged units that will attack (and kill) mine, and the main goal of this is to prevent losses completely.

Unfortunately, some armies will always kill one or two of it, and I don't like that, especially if said units were Shadow Dragons or even Black Dragons.

Previously, I'd just take it as acceptable losses, albeit uncomfortably. Heck, losing even a single Shadow Dragon is a painful thing to watch, but I didn't know what else to do.

Now I do.

The new strategy is suitable for situations where losses are inevitable but the opposite army is easy to deal with using spells alone.

This needs to be done with empty slots available, which can be accomplished by:

a) keeping a simple army of few unit types
b) having a town nearby
c) having another hero nearby

1) Choose a single unit type that you deem very expendable. In my case, I'd pick Blood Furies, otherwise Scouts. Blood Furies have no place (or little use at most) in the hero-oriented strategy that the Dungeon race seems to encourage anyway.

2) Split them into stacks of one and fill all your slots with single units.

3) Now kill your enemies with Meteor Storms and Chain Lightning before your units get wiped out!







Problem?

IMO losing even 6 Furies or Scouts is preferable to losing a single Minotaur Guard.

For this battle, I've tried 2 other strategies:

1) nothing but 2 Shadow Dragons - resulted in 2 dead dragons and a loss
2) 60+ Scouts, 2 Shadow Matriarchs and 70 Minotaur Guards - resulted in 2 dead matriarchs, a couple of other deaths and a victory











Phew, my throat is much better today. Yesterday it was so painful I winced whenever I swallowed my saliva.














First-person melee combat :(

4-player coop mode :)

I believe the decision to focus on melee is to bring the player closer to the zombies. Makes it more intense, more personal.









Had to get new shirts for work. Now that I'm starting to have to meet people, I need new and more formal clothing.

Polo shirts.

And a couple short-sleeve shirts.

Not cheap, especially when I need XXL shirts. Cheap brandless stuff never includes such sizes because:

1) Requires more materials
2) Much less demand

Even in my work, most of our jackets and sweaters only hit XXL at most so that people can wear multiple shirts underneath.

As for what the measurements are for each, there's actually no standardized international measurements for each size, so it's pretty subjective. Therefore once in a while, even XXL doesn't fit me. Usually when it's cheap, because in China, people are skinnier.

So if I want good clothes that will definitely fit me, I have to find branded stuff. I don't exactly have a choice.

Timberland this time. Spent over S$300 there. It's a necessary investment; I didn't have a single polo shirt previously, only t-shirts.












I used to have lots of trouble with Scrakes in Killing Floor. They're so tough and their melee attack is so painful. As a Commando, the best thing I can do is to snipe its head from afar with my submachine guns, then spray at its head when it gets close.

Usually, it will still come close enough to attack someone. That's how tough it is. After all, it is the second toughest monster in the game after the Flesh Pound and excluding the final boss, the Patriarch.

Not when someone has a crossbow though.

I just started using a Crossbow as a Sharpshooter today, and if I'm right, one crossbow bolt to the head instantly kills the Scrake.

Feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment