Saturday 23 July 2011

Rant 818 / Heartless, Brainless And Spineless

Old World Blues is out! Haven't checked Steam Store for so long since the end of the sale.

Also downloaded War Inc but it sucks. It's just a shitty version of Battlefied: Bad Company 2. War Inc is free-to-play; BC2 is free for me when I bought my Sapphire graphics card.

I'll give it another try next time if I ever run out of games and probably will uninstall it after that.

Anyway Old World Blues!

Installing...











If anyone ever makes a movie about the nukes in WWII in Japan, it will probably make a pretty epic film.

Too bad the Japanese are still very touchy about this subject, so much so that in the Japanese edition of Fallout 3, they had to remove the quest about blowing up Megaton.











Finished Old World Blues in two days. Didn't complete everything, just the quests I got. Apparently the fact that I didn't explore every place in the Big MT affects the ending.

Not an easy DLC because the scorpions were so numerous sometimes, like at the entrance of the Magnetohydraulics Complex. Luckily I still have my fully upgraded and repaired War Club from Honest Hearts. Its Fatigue damage really makes combat easier, although its effectiveness is still greatly diminished when I have to fight multiple enemies at the same time.

This DLC's design seemed to be focused on the humour, the way Dead Money was focused on the eeriness. With the Wild Wasteland trait, I was encountering all kinds of weird and funny stuff everywhere, even during conversations.

The Animal Friend perk was a better choice than I expected before trying this DLC. There were just so many Nightstalkers everywhere, so the perk which stops animals from attacking me gave me several nice respites from all the violence, although killing Nightstalkers would have given me very useful items.

Story-wise, some of the things I encountered in the Big MT explained certain elements in the Sierra Madre of the Dead Money DLC.

For example, the zombies there were really corpses being reanimated by their suits, which were originally designed to help injured people walk back to safety. It seemed a certain design flaw had prevented the suit from recognizing their wearer's death, and this flaw was ignored because this would have made body retrieval easy.

I guess they didn't count on the suits to also attack their own side.

Anyhow, these suits were invented in the Big MT, thus there were also "zombies" in this DLC, albeit redesigned to be faster and able to use guns. Probably a later model.

Other facts about the Sierra Madre like why the poison was there in the first place were also revealed in the Big MT.

As for the plot of the Old World Blues DLC, it's again quite a tragedy. I'm keeping spoilers minimal here.

There were many occasions when I, while bashing everything's head in with the War Club, imagined what the truth would be like.

Would it be that those robots weren't actually the real scientists? That would have made a good twist. Maybe the real Think Tank had died during the nuclear war and these "scientists" were really the assistants who were somehow fortunate enough to survive? Or maybe they weren't even scientists, just members of the support staff like the janitor or clerk or even test subjects.

Test subjects would have made sense too. Maybe they were supposed to be experiments for this new technology that transplants the brain into some kind of tank in those self-levitating robots. The prototypes. And the technology couldn't be further developed because of the nuke that killed everyone else.

Or perhaps they were the AI clones of the original scientists and that these AIs were aversely affected by the nuclear radiation over the years.

All in all, I felt that the chances of them being the original scientists were lower than the chances of them being not.

Not saying anymore about the story.

Weapons! Totally crap for me. I'm a melee fighter, and the best melee weapon was the Proton Inversal Axe. My War Club still pwns everything. It's just that nothing can beat a weapon that disables almost everything within seconds. Fans of energy weapons would probably have a field day at the Big MT though.

The armour was also a slight disappointment. I had even upgraded the Stealth Suit thoroughly by completing all the experiments in that lab that was researching this technology (and without using Stealth Boy I might add) but... sneaking around just isn't my current style. I'm all about rushing in and smashing everything till they explode into bits.

The loots in general other than the two above categories wasn't very impressive. The Big MT was truly a scrap electronics galore. Seriously, they were everywhere. Scrap metal too, but to a significantly lesser degree. I had little use for scrap electronics.

Exploration was much more interesting in this DLC than in the previous 2 (especially Dead Money)  because the developers added so many strange stuff everywhere, like the Ulysses' Point where the Lobotomites seemed to have built a shrine for a Holodisk containing the virtual personality data of a toaster.

In fact I didn't explore everything only because I thought I could do it after finishing the main quest, kinda like a dessert after the main course. I did not expect that what I missed would affect the ending.

Finally, if I heard the voice right, they got the guy who did the voice of Wheatley in Portal 2 to voice the player's brain. Don't ask me why it speaks. It would be a big spoiler there. Anyway it was a very humourous conversation, though not as hilarious as Wheatley.










A bullet train in China got derailed. No idea how many casualties.

Not trying to be offensive but I think we all saw it coming. With it being a Chinese product complete with all the corruption, it was never an issue of "if" but "when".

Over the years they've made fake eggs, fake milk, fake wine, fake rice, fake Apple stores and even an entire fake Austrian UNESCO village. Fake safety standards certainly aren't out of place in China's repertoire.

Lives are cheap in the PRC anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment