Saturday 29 January 2011

Rant 714 / Second First

Bought a new PC today. Since it contained the older hard disk from the desktop that I ruined, it needed to be repaired by Windows. All the drivers and stuff are different other than the hard disk.

It's been "Attempting repairs..." for like 10 mins now. I'm not sure if it's normal but I'm going to be patient this time. Seriously trying to avoid any trouble in a brand new PC.



I'm pretty sure I was not given the optimal price. They probably screwed me over in some way but I'm not too curious. I was completely satisfied with the specs of my old computer and this computer is even better than that.

Old PC - Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
New PC - i7-2600 3.4GHz

Old PC - MSI 790FX-GD70
New PC - ASUS P8P67 ( I think I might have downgraded here)

Old and new PC - Kingston DDR3 RAM 2GB X2 (total 4GB)

Old PC - WD Caviar Black 500GB 32MB
New PC - Above and a new WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB   (Caviar Black > Caviar Blue but I'm planning to install all programmes on the Caviar Black anyway)

Old PC - MSI GTX285 1GB DDR3
New PC - Sapphire HD 6970 2GB DDR5

Old PC - Cooler Master CM690 ATX Black
New PC - 912 HAF Advanced (has two USB 3.0 ports but I'm not sure if I'll be needing them)


Hmm... apparently transferring a hard disk drive (HDD) from an old PC to a new one is not as common a practice as I expected. I'm not finding much help on Google and it's been "attempting repairs" for like 30mins. I'm not allowed to cancel it (I tried clicking on the Cancel button) so I'm prepared to wait till tomorrow morning.

6.11PM:

Oh great! A response! A bad response but a response nonetheless. Now it's telling me it can't be repaired, which I already expected. Doing an install instead.

I fucked up. I just picked the new drive to install it in.

This means I'm going to have to format it and install Windows... again.

Also this means I'm losing all my save files, including my latest Cities XL and ME2 saves. In the backup saves I'm probably still at the Reaper IFF mission and as for Cities XL, I did not back up saves ever since I installed it.

It's not a big deal because it's not really hard to get it back to 100k population again now that I know how to plan for the future to that extent. In fact I'm going to build an even better city with far fewer criss-crossing roads.


8.09PM:

Almost done installing the drivers. I had decided to adapt to the new situation by leaving the OS in the new hard disk drive. The justification for this is that the older HDD might not last as long as the new one. After all, Caviar Blue is supposed to be slower but more reliable and it's newer than the other.

So I can access my old drives in this setup. I think they had installed the new HDD as the master but I'm not completely sure. Maybe there's no master and slave in this desktop. Doesn't matter as long as it is booting fine.

Going to try the games soon. If they work, I have no qualms about everything. If not, well, tomorrow's Sunday anyway.

Interestingly, this mobo has Bluetooth.




10.41PM:

All drivers installed. The new hard disk is now C: while the old C: is now D: and the old D: is now E:. OS on the old HDD is now disabled but I have not formatted it yet.

I should probably have formatted both HDDs and installed the OS on the Caviar Black since it loads faster, but now I think I should install my games on it instead.

On the other hand, I now have a huge 500GB HDD that only contains the OS and driver files.

I should probably do something about this.

But what?

This is a strange arrangement but it's convenient at the moment.


On an unrelated note, having a Caviar Black external hard disk is a waste. I have a 1TB one and I just learnt that I could have just gotten the Caviar Green version, which is slower but consumes less electricity. Why would I need a high performance external storage disk?

Next time.


As for the games, they don't work. The files are all there but the programmes don't work. Therefore I'm keeping them for a while longer since I don't actually need the extra space.


How nice! Here's a very convenient way for you to bring your Mozilla bookmarks and passwords over to a new computer:

This is only for Vista users. Go to your user folder and all the way into Roaming. Inside Roaming is a folder called "Mozilla". Copy it and paste it in the new HDD with the new Mozilla and overwrite the new Mozilla folder with it.

Sorry I lost the website when I restarted the browser. Too lazy to find it again. Doesn't matter anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment