Friday 28 January 2011

Rant 712 / Public Transport Maintenance Is Expensive!

My first time building a city with a population of 50k in Cities XL.



11 excess jobs in a population of 50k. All available industries pretty close to 1:1 in terms of supply vs demand. Except for fuel, but hey, nobody dislikes cheap petrol!

My main problem is still traffic. I suspect that junctions slow down traffic and worsen it but I'm not sure. If it's true, then I can't help it because I need to connect too many roads to the main road. Now my road system look damn ugly because I keep build roads no matter the slope gradient. It means some of my roads are kinda zig-zag.






A hilltop roundabout - a good idea or a good idea?

That was actually my first experiment with roundabouts. I don't know if they're actually worth the space and effort but I was desperate to find a way to ease the traffic without building even more criss-crossing roads. It worked somewhat but look at how much space that took. The gradient of the slope was part of the problem though; the roundabout wasn't wholly at fault.

At last, BUSES! Oh I get the metro too but I'll stick with buses for now.

It's at this point that I have to reduce my graphics to the minimum. It's lagging a bit, so I might as well go straight to the settings for max performance. I don't zoom in much to look at the people anyway.








Spent a night being annoyed by the computer. Same problem as before - shutting down for no reason.

I think it did that for 4 times before I posted the problem in hardwarezone (HWZ). No good reply atm. Definitely not a heat problem because it very rarely occured in the afternoons. Mostly it happens during the evenings or mornings, which makes me suspect that the fluctuating temperature has to do with it although I don't know how.

I almost wanted to dissemble the PC just to check the mounting of the mobo but decided not to because it was late and I have class tomorrow. If something goes wrong, I'll be too distracted to read the notes before the lesson.

Anyway after posting it on HWZ I'd been trying to boot my PC without success over like 3 hours (since 9pm). There was roughly 10-30mins between each attempt and all of them ended in a sudden shut down at or before the Microsoft Corporation loading screen with the green bar. I'd also switch on my air conditioner at about 9.30pm.

Then at about 12.30am it's now alright again. Which really adds to my previously described suspicion. Yet if that is true, then it would have shut down whenever it was warming up from room temperature while I have my air conditioner on.

Gah!

No comments:

Post a Comment