Monday 17 January 2011

Rant 703 / Graphics Card Crashed Only Once Since The Repair. Once, But It Did Happen.

It kept bugging me yesterday how it's strange that random problems persist only for a morning. Yesterday's auto-shutdown issue was not the first time problems kept happening for a while and vanished later for no reason.


Why do computers have this sort of temporary problems? It's not like they can regenerate like cells. How did this problem solve itself yesterday without doing anything?

It makes no sense.

I think it's problems like this in life that makes adults less curious than children.

Children, having never encountered anything like this, naturally form this notion that nothing in the world can't be solved. Everything must have an answer.

As they grow up, they start to see things like what I just went through and find that the answer is not worth the effort, so they gradually develop this unconscious habit of ignoring such things. Eventually they call it "a lack of curiosity". I think it's just an adapted behaviour that improves the overall cost-effectiveness of their actions in life.

Imagine if I were to read up on how to open up and test the PSU and mobo with my average IQ, I'd be spending days here with a headache. Eventually I may or may not understand why the problem existed and why it disappeared without my help. Finally I'll have to put everything back or spend money buying replacements.







All news seem to be not good. News are usually either bad or not good. On the few occasions they're good, they don't seem to make anyone smile.

For example, when a person reads about how someone died in a tragic accident, he/she can get quite unhappy for a short while. Yet when he/she reads about how someone won a prize or when the country is ranked high up some prestigious lists, the positive reaction is usually not of the same magnitude.

Therefore, reading the news can only make a person less happy overall.

Ignorance is bliss?







Seems like Idra is going to play against Jinro again. Are the Koreans trying to avoid matches between the Korean players and the foreigners?








Arcania: Gothic 4 took a long time to get interesting, just like Divinity 2. But now I've maxed out the skill that gives unlimited blows (used to need to stop for a break after every 6 blows or so with my weapon), I don't know what else to to put my skill points in. Also maxed out the Lightning magic skill. So I'm putting the points in the first skill called Mettle if I'm not wrong.







My bro's gf is drinking Twining's Earl Grey now. Saw a discarded packet in the trash. My bro doesn't drink anything and my mum only sticks to her blend of jasmine and Tie Guan Ying. That only leaves her.

I tried Twinings tea some time ago, and may have mentioned it here. If I were to buy Twinings, I'd choose either Earl Grey or English Breakfast Tea.

But I don't. Lipton Yellow Label is just cheaper. IMO the more expensive tea needs to be enjoyed leisurely in the morning when it's still cool. Obviously, I'd have little desire to appreciate the delicate aroma of hot tea in the frickin burning heat of the afternoon sun.

Just to make things clear, I have nothing against Lipton Yellow Label. In fact I've been buying their 100-packet boxes since about a year ago. Big fan here.

But it is cheap enough that I don't feel guilty for not tasting every mouthful. When it's more expensive, it just gives me the impression that more work has gone into cultivating the leaves and processing them into teabags. Plus I used to get it for free during NS, so it reinforced the idea in me that Lipton teabags can be wasted. Hence I don't find anything wrong with dumping a fresh Lipton teabag in a mug of tap water every morning and drinking diluted tea every day. It's just one step above drinking tap water to me.

It's not like I don't care about the aroma. I do. In every 100-packet box the teabags are lined into rows. Whenever I get a box, I place one row into a ziplock bag, squeeze out as much air as I can, roll it tightly and zipping it up. Right now I have 2 of such bags and another 2 rows inside the box, which is also in a ziplock bag that's been folded tightly to keep air from getting sucked back in. All these are in my cupboard.

Then there's yet another bag that's kept in a microwave-safe plastic container. So every day I have to open both the box and the bag to get a teabag. Yes, I do care about the teabags.

Actually my main concern is that I may stop using it for a while, which I've done before. If I don't seal everything up properly, the teabags may smell different by the time I use them again. It's happened before, but fortunately it was only like 20 teabags. They weren't mouldy, just different. Exposed to the air for too long. Happens to everything dehydrated, rice, tea leaves, etc.

EDIT: Earl Grey is NOT a brand! Earl Grey is a kind of tea made with orange peel oil!

No comments:

Post a Comment