Saturday 15 January 2011

Rant 701 / If You Think Your Life Sucks, At Least The Thing/Person You Spend The Most Time With Isn't Having Major Issues

Alicafe Classic tastes like those Kopiko coffee candies. It's practically the liquid version of it. I think it's because there's too much creamer.








I'm not sure if the $75 is worth it. Maybe it is for those who shop at Lockerz since they earn PTZ from purchases but not for me.








YET ANOTHER PC PROBLEM!!

So this morning (15 Jan, Sat) I woke up at around 5am. Switched on the computer, did regularly checks (email, forums, etc). Then at around 6am I got to the kitchen to prepare to make fried rice with eggs and luncheon meat.

Beated 3 eggs, added garlic salt and black pepper. Diced half a can of luncheon meat. Then recalled that when I cook it's going to be very noisy. It was 6.30 when I was ready to start the stove. Too early, didn't want to wake up my whole family.

So I got back to my computer. It appeared to be switched off. Weird. I didn't remember any power-saving options that I picked that had anything to do with switching off the CPU in 30mins.

Then I noticed the Numlock LED was still glowing. What was happening? Crash again? Oh shit...

So I tried random keys. No response.

Looked at the power button. The power LED light was blinking once every second.

Never seen that before.

So I pressed the power button.

Nothing.

Reset button.

Nothing.

WHAT WAS HAPPENING???

Switched off the electric outlet and on again.

Restarted computer. Everything loaded normally.

Just when I was about to open Firefox, the computer just... shutdown as if we were having a blackout. It just stopped.

But the Numlock was still on and the power light was blinking.

WHAT WAS HAPPENING?!?

Four more times I rebooted as before.

Once it crashed while Windows was loading, once in the BIOS menu, once in Windows and once while I was risking the computer by googling for help.

So I got pissed and took out my laptop.

Google results point to problems involving the motherboard, PSU and drivers, mainly the first two.

There was nothing I could do about anything since it just switches off randomly.

By the time I was satisfied I couldn't get anymore out of Google, it was about 9am.

So I got out to wait for the housekeeper. Left the computers off.

11am. Got back in, now the PC seems fine. Consciously clicking on "Save" every several lines now. Speedfan is also on in case something was overheating. As of now, 11.16am, the highest temperature I see is only 64 degrees Celsius. AFAIK too high means above 85.

If it crashes again, which I REALLY hope won't happen, I'm lugging it back to Fuwell. Meanwhile my mum is nagging me to buy a new computer. If I get into the habit of buying new PCs every 2 years or less, I don't think I will be able to survive in the future when we don't have her income.

How much it costs to bring it over for repairs, or "troubleshoot" as they call it:

$30 fee.

$25 2-way cab fare.

Total: $55-$80 depending on how long they take. If it isn't serious, they can fix it on the same day, so that's $55. If it's serious like the mobo problem last week, $80.

20mins since I switched it on. Actually 25. Hasn't crashed yet. This is the longest time since the first crash this morning.

Almost forgot to mention that the previous problems are gone. Yesterday was completely crash-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment