Friday 28 January 2011

Rant 713 / The End Of A PC









Just discovered Spick n' Span when I checked Beeconomic today. Whoa! S$260 per month for a session of 4 hours of cleaning per week makes each session cost only $65. Some maids do it cheaper ($50) and even do the ironing, which this company offers separately from its cleaning services. Then again, the maids aren't supposed to moonlight during their off days. Also, some of those maids are really poor so they kinda deserve the extra money. Like the one we're hiring currently. I'm pretty sure she's not a vegan but that's what her breakfast at the market implied.






So today my computer did the now-normal random shut down routine. Tried holding the Power button to release any charge in the PSU. 10 times, didn't work. Pulling and replugging the PSU's connector on the mobo. 5 times, didn't work. Pulling out power cable and replugging. 2 times, didn't work.

Gave up, fck the repair services. Decided to dismantle the computer just to see if there are any obvious signs of damage and that if I break anything, I'll get a new computer.

So I learnt where to connect the Power and Reset buttons' wires on the mobo and how to stick in the RAM, processor, graphics card and network card. Still don't know what is inside the PSU but not too curious atm because I accidentally bent some of the pins on the processor while trying to put it back.

Slanted pins I can handle but L-shaped pins are kinda too advanced for me.

Yep, so I ruined a vital component of the PC. Tomorrow I'll be getting a new computer with 2 hard drives, one of which is going to be the one from this PC. This will definitely be the master HDD while the new one will be the slave because I have a perfectly working legitimate copy of 64-bit Vista Home Premium in this 500GB Caviar Black.

As for my video card, I feel it's kind of a waste not to use it but at this rate I might as well bring this computer there and tell them to install a new processor.

Which I won't. This old PC will be kept in a dusty old corner until I need it for troubleshooting in the future. The working parts can help me determine if the ones in the future PC are still working.

On an unrelated note, I love this old laptop so much now. If not for it I'd have to keep walking between the living room and my room to use the PC outside. If this ever stops working, I'm pretty sure I will need to buy a cheap laptop to replace it. Probably one that goes between $500 and $900. Just enough to watch videos and surf the net with.

No comments:

Post a Comment