Wednesday 19 January 2011

Rant 706 / It Wasn't Water

I remember all those times in secondary school (or was it JC) when we had to write essays discussing whether cloning humans is a good thing.

Now the Japanese are about to clone mammoths. First Dolly, now an extinct elephant-like creature. I think what the scientists are actually doing here is that they're trying to refine the process, perhaps looking for a way to make it cheaper.

Despite whatever ethical problem everyone may have about this, the possibilities of human cloning are undeniably useful. Furthermore, nothing else can quite give us what cloning can.






LKY believes that immigrants will save our population. Unfortunately he is right. It won't help Singaporeans, but it will help Singapore.

It takes roughly three generations for immigrants to become real natives. That's about 70-80 years.





Apparently those beeps you hear from your computer when it boots up are error codes!! OMG! Why doesn't anyone mention this???

For American Megatrends Inc BIOS, the 3 beeps I've been hearing ever since I got it back means "Base 64k memory failure".

The reason for this differs among the various websites. Mainly they point to either the RAM or the motherboard.

Both can possibly cause the auto-shutdown problem.

I'd very much prefer that the RAM is at fault but it's not like I have a choice.





Happened again at around 12pm. This time I had learnt how to remove RAM from a Youtube video and pulled out both just to take a look. One of them was somehow dusty in the middle. Cleaned both and put them back in again.

I know it's unlikely but I hope it doesn't happen again.







...But it did. 3pm. So I decided to fiddle with the RAM sticks. Pulled out the left one. Pressed the Power button. Fans spun... only for a second. Nothing happened after that.

Removed the other stick, placed it in the left slot.

Same thing happened.

... OMG DID I JUST FIND OUT THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM?!?!?

Replaced that stick with the first one that I removed.

Same thing happened.

Oh shit.

Placed the second stick inside.

Same thing happened yet again.

Switch the 2 sticks.

Nope.

Oh fuck!

So I brought it to Sim Lim Square yet again. One of the techs recognized me but it was the other guy I remember seeing from long ago who attended to my computer.

He switched the wires for the Power and Reset button and told me to wait for a while because it happened at random.

After 10mins of walking and window shopping, I went back and told him to forget it. One thing led to another and when I described the problem again. Initially I told him it had been shutting down as if "someone pulled out the wire". This time I told him it was as if "there was a blackout". For some reason, that meant a different thing to him.

It still wasn't the PSU or mobo. This was because he assured me that they sent both for servicing and got back brand new ones. So yes, I have a brand new mobo and PSU in my PC. Which means it is highly unlikely that they are the causes.

So he told me it was a static problem and proceeded to show me which connector to pull out and plug back in when it happens. It's the really long one that goes into the mobo and is connected to lots of very colourful wires (orange, yellow, red and etc).

And when I brought it back home and switched it on, there was NO BEEP!

It's now back to its original state, for reasons I probably will never understand. For now, I don't really care. Why pay any attention to things that don't need fixing?






Some of the jobs on Mturk are really easy! After lurking around for a while on the website, I find that there are, once in a while, jobs that are incredibly easy and yet pays more than others.

For example, there is one where the guy asks people to register on some Beeconomics-like website called nomoreracks.com using a certain link. I believe it was his referral link. After checking out the site, I learnt that it is offering $5 per friend invited plus free gifts when the invited friends reach certain numbers.

I didn't care about the site because the first thing I checked was its shipping policies, and the page said it only ships in the US. But with my 20 alternate emails, I don't mind using 1 to make US$3. It's such easy money.

As for the rest of the time, Patrician 4 is a great game to multitask with. I have it on together with Lockerz and Mturk. I've long given up on getting anything from Lockerz but I've nothing to lose by playing the videos.

I'm not actually recommending the site. After all, I can't get actual cash from it.







7.55pm. Fuck. It shut down again! Did the thing with the connectors. It didn't magically restart itself.

I'm getting close to buying a new computer.







We lack security on the Internet. That's obvious. Global chaos? Maybe not. But something big will happen someday because websites aren't protected enough. It's not a possibility; it's an eventuality. Big things have happened because people thought certain things couldn't happen. Dams have collapsed. Nuclear reactors have melted down. Planes have flown into skyscrapers. Even before WW2, people thought that war was impossible given what had happened during the Great War.

What these mean is that some lessons people can only learn the hard way. And given enough time, they will get the opportunity to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment