Sunday 23 January 2011

Rant 709 / When A Human Likes A Corpse, It's Necrophilia. When A Corpse Likes A Human, It's Hunger.

LKY announces that Singapore is not a nation yet.

I am confused and a little saddened.

I'm not confused about nationhood. No, I know what he's trying to say but I just can't figure out why he's saying it in the media.

Obviously it's going to be interpreted in a multitude of ways by the public now and in the future, some of which is not going to be well-received by anyone. So why is he saying this now?

I'm also saddened because it's true. If we get annexed by any of our neighbours in the future, no one will miss this country. There isn't much that people can describe as "the good old days" when we had any sort of glorious history.

Compare this with Venice, a tiny state that bears quite a few similarities with Singapore. Even hundreds of years past its Golden Age, it's still remembered for its past when it was a tiny wealthy merchant state.

This is one reason why we're not a nation yet that was not mentioned.






I wonder if it's normal for a person to have no contact with all his relatives. I just realized I didn't even know the surnames of some of my cousins. First cousins.
Now I've only found out a few of their names via Facebook due to unforeseen circumstances.

I've been assured that it is alright but I'm still not sure.







Yahoo News comments are just as bad as Youtube comments. I find myself getting increasingly irked by the people who frequent there.

All they do is whine about the government!

Even when they agree with LKY they still continue to bash him and the rest of PAP.

To them, everything PAP does is wrong and the entire Singapore is full of beggars on the streets. Nobody can afford homes and nobody has enough to eat. And all that is because of the PAP.

I'm not even exaggerating.

I'm going to stop reading their comments from now on. If I want to kill my brain cells I could just visit /b/. At least they have nice images once in a while.






I just realized my average rate of income from mturk has gone down to $2 a day. Yep, I currently at the income level of a coolie from the old days.

It has been dropping even since I ran out of psychological surveys. Since these only allowed one attempt each, there's nothing I can do about it. I did get a $2.50 bonus from one of the researchers for being honest though. That's more than what 99% of the people offer for a single job.

It's still cool because I'm doing practically nothing other than helping with the family business. Today, my bro's gf came with us too. It's just simple labour for her - open and unpack the giant bags of goods with my bro while I bring them to the storage area and stack them up properly.

Anyway I've already told my bro to inform me if he ever buys anything so that we can order together and save on the shipping fee. Right now I'm just accumulating money there so that when the good games come out in March and May I can afford them... if they're worth the money.

These days, disappointment is the norm for new games. Everything is so overhyped now except for NS2 but only because the devs for this game has been showing everyone practically everything in the game right from the beginning.






Why would left-handed people have any sort of difficulty with using a controller? It just makes no sense. Personally I control my mouse with my left hand when I'm bored and supporting my head with my right such that my right elbow is on my left wrist. It's completely fine as long as I'm not playing games.






I should probably change my glasses soon. I'm beginning to experience aching behind my eyes at night.






So today I encountered someone I don't know at all. Recently I added my aunt on FB and later, some of my cousins on her friends list. But I did not recognize one of the names there. Okay, I'm kinda lying. If not for their photos and surnames, I would not have recognized any of them. One of them I only recognized by surname. The other I recognize because he looked like my maternal aunts and uncles. Yet another I knew only because that aunt mentioned his name on the phone.

Yes I have that little contact with most of my relatives.

In the end I ignored one name on her tiny list (probably because people her generation/social circle aren't too computer-savvy) because I did not know anyone of that name and he/she did not post his real photo.

Today I found that he/she sent a friend request which included a message asking why I did not post any of my bro's photos. So here's relative I completely don't know. It was rather awkward to have to ask who he/she is. I'll find out eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment