Wednesday 16 September 2009

Rant 425 / Touchable Holograms - Now A Reality!

There were several other games that caught my attention during the era of 8-bit state-of-the-art 2D gaming but I did not mention those due to time constraints.

In Game Boy, the game that stood out the most was Nemesis II. But later I got sick of it because I couldn't beat the game. Hey I was only a little kid, not smart enough to figure out stuff like "safe spots" on my own without guidance. I didn't get hints and stuff from friends or the Internet back then because no one else in Singapore seemed to play that game and the Internet at that time was still an unknown, useless and expensive thing.

The very best I could do was get to the fourth stage's final boss, but I've never gotten past that point. Most of the time I died at Stage 3, the part where the monsters just appear out of nowhere and everywhere. Stage 1 was the part where, like the first two stages of GG Shinobi, every trick and timing of each action was trained into muscle memory.



I have seen Stage 5 only once or twice when my bro played, but not the ending. The game was never beaten, as far as we were concerned. The lack of a Save function was part of the reason.

The Game Boy was really better than the Game Gear because it didn't require huge amounts of electricity, though the Game Gear did have more flashy games.





Day of the Tentacles! The first point-and-click adventure game in my life. The game is about 3 teenagers who travel through time to defeat an evil genius tentacle who is trying to take over the world. The fun comes when their time machines did not work as planned.

There is a video walkthrough split into 10 parts. I was considering posting them all here but it would probably fill my entire front page. So here's the link to the first part. It can be watched like some sort of movie. The time travel part in Part 1 was one of the funniest scenes in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaFI4YlCVdE

Back then my computer didn't have the Sound Blaster audio card (or is it an audio card at all? or an application requiring a certain type of sound cards?) so we played without sound. Now that I'm watching it with the voices and all, this game looks more fun than I remembered.

I don't believe I've completed this game either, also because I didn't understand most of the English.

Our almost complete lack of proficiency of the English language only prevented us from playing one single game - Might and Magic II.

Note that before that we had never known such types of games, so it was all random choosing of options and stuff.

We did get to start the game, but we didn't know what the stats-choosing menu was all about. You see at the beginning of such RPGs, players are supposed to create a new character via this menu that allows them to customize everything from facial hair to strength and intelligence.

We didn't know what it was and what the words mean, and random clicking on all the buttons didn't get me into the game except a few times, when we did accidentally enter the game without knowing how we did it.

Even then, we didn't know what the game was about. The quest texts meant nothing to us, neither did 90% of the English words in the game, and the game was all about reading the text. That still is the style of most RPGs today, all that reading is necessary to understand the story.

In fact we were so ignorant of such games, we thought we needed Might and Magic I to play it. Probably got this from one of the few lines we could understand, through the option of bringing Might and Magic I characters into this game. In those days when PC technologies didn't go as quickly as today, many games and their sequels basically use the exact same graphics and systems, so they allowed players to bring characters they played with in the prequels over to the newer games. Great continuity there, really makes the player get into the game quicker.

Anyhow we somehow persuaded our mum to bring us to an IPC office to see if they had the game (we didn't know where to get the game and all the game stores we visited didn't sell it), since Might and Magic II was bundled with the computer.

Today it may sound stupid, but at that time no one really knew much about computers and games. Of course they didn't have it. In fact we learnt that they didn't sell games at all, which is obvious now. But somehow they did lure us into buying this flight simulator game called Tornado which we lost interest in very quickly after that, just like most of the other games I'm not mentioning here.

In retrospect, I believe they were doing an unauthorised trade. That game was likely to be intended as a free gift for each computer sale.

I can still remember when I was at that age, I thought to choose a good computer we had to look at the RAM only. Took me some time after our second PC to realize there is more to a PC than just RAM. That was when I learnt about video cards and processors, but that's another story.











Bleach is giving us the bs filler episodes again. =(

At least episode 228 was all about the ladies in their bikinis. Still, I don't watch anime to get turned on. I know sex sells, but this really wasn't necessary.

Speaking of bikinis, they were really named after the Bikini Atoll, a group of islands where the American scientists tested nuclear weapons during the Cold War. The close-to-non-existent piece of "clothing" was first called a bikini because it was intended to have an effect on guys similar to what happened at the Atoll.

Today the background radiation on Bikini Island, the largest island there, is still higher than normal but within safety limits. Food grown there is still inedible due to the higher concentration of radiation. Unfortunately, there still has been no sighting of Super Mutants, sentient flora and Spiderman in the local vicinity. This is surprising given the probably large number of radioactive spiders in the jungle.








McDonald's mayonnaise isn't mayonnaise! No wonder they label it as "MAYO D'lite".

Mayonnaise is made of egg yolks and oil (the traditional, basic recipe), but "MAYO D'lite" only contains soy bean oil and no egg. Starch is added to simulate the texture. This mayonnaise is vegan-friendly but isn't real mayonnaise. It isn't even fattening (compared to real mayonnaise)!








Facebook, Twitter Revolutionizing How Parents Stalk Their College-Aged Kids

E-stalking is easy and just as creepy. Make sure you aren't adding your mother or someone else's mother in your FB. =P

Actually, you wouldn't know if she decides to fake an identity.










Changed the channel of my router to 11 and the mode to N-Only. Now the pings to my router is constantly a 1ms. Yay! Hope it remains so for the rest of the day.

Did this because my router was set at Mixed mode (for all B/G/N) and channel 5. My connection kept dying and I wanted to see if it was outside interference, my adapter or the router that was causing it. Died thrice in a morning, so it had to be a serious problem.









Natural Selection 2! The new Marines are revealed!


(For some reason you may not be able to expand the image to the resolution in the filename.)

The resolution of this image hints at the possibility of dual screen mode. Cool as it sounds, it makes no difference to me. I'm not going to buy a new monitor for anything short of irreparable damage to my present monitor.

Surprisingly, this is not concept art, but a real ingame rendered picture. You are looking at the actual graphics of the game itself. Holy shit!

This is concept art:



In an older post, they announced that they were going to use motion capture to create the movement of the Marines in the game. In other words, they were going to get an actor to move around and use cameras and stuff to record his movements, then use it as the moving animation in the game.












My internet connection was perfectly smooth till my bro came home and * told me he couldn't connect to the internet. I changed the network mode to G-Only and it was solved. Apparently he was wrong when he thought that his laptop supports Wireless-N mode.

And he looked at me like it was my fault. :/

Now I'm getting disconnected for no reason again. That star (*) after "and" marks the point of time at which I disconnected. If it disconnects again soon, more actions will be required.

Moreover, it would beat the point of installing this new router in the first place, since my bro wanted it only because it was supposed to enhance our internet connection speed, and the only reason why it would do that is because Wireless-N is faster than Wireless-G.

To not use the Wireless-N mode would make the router no better than its predecessor.

And it seems the new router doesn't support the 5Ghz frequencies, which the Wireless-N mode can use. My adapter is able to use 5GHz, though this is moot for now. Using a 5GHz network would greatly improve my connection speed because my router can then ignore all the 2.4GHz frequencies that Wireless-B/G modes use.

In other words, I would get much less interference from my neighbours, unless they're all using Wireless-N at 50GHz channels. It would be incredible if all of them are that tech-savvy. Doesn't matter now, my router can't use it.

On the other hand, routers with 5GHz channels were going for S$300 while this new router we're using was being sold for over S$100.











They did it! They fucking did it! Remember one of my rants long ago that mentioned my idea of combining the technology in Wii with holograms to create virtual objects like a virtual keyboard?

The Japanese fucking did it!

Quote from Reuters:

The technology has so far been tested with relatively simple objects, although the researchers have more practical plans, including virtual switches at hospitals, for example, and other places where contamination by touch is an issue.

In fact, this experimental technology can also be "felt". How this is done exactly is not revealed, probably because it's top secret.

Touchable holograms!

Fuck yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment