Tuesday 1 September 2009

Rant 411 / O Cunning Love!

A proposal to tax soft drinks to combat obesity! Now that's something I'm pretty sure the Singapore government would be glad to oblige. Too bad it's being proposed to the US government instead.










I'm interested in the movie Gamer, so I checked its release date in Singapore. That was when I saw this discrepancy - in IMDB it was rated R but in Yahoo! Movies it was rated G. I was actually considering the idea of watching it in the cinema before this but now I'm much less inclined to do so.










I think I'm an abnormally warm person. It was raining quite heavily today when I finished class and I got pretty wet getting through the crowded bus stop to the bus. That's normal because my size makes it too hard for me to try to avoid the rain.

On the bus, I was the only one from that bus stop who adjusted the air-conditioner to aim straight at myself. And you know what? The wind was warm! The bus driver must have raised it to the highest temperature for the sake of the drenched passengers.

I was feeling hot, as usual. I always feel hot when I walk to the bus stop from the lecture halls. Apparently, my body's heat generation is unaffected by rain, in addition to the air conditioner aimed towards me at full blast while I'm sweating profusely. It was then that I remembered the time I was sweating profusely during a visit to Tokyo many years ago.

It was winter then.

It seems it has only gotten worse, not better. Or better, not worse, depending on the situation.

The girl sitting next to me on the other side of the bus had gotten on the bus behind me, and was desperately rubbing her hands and legs (short skirt, too bad for her, she asked for it) after 10 minutes. She didn't even have the air conditioner vent opened at all!

And no I didn't sneeze a single time, so it wasn't fever. It's still not fever.

When I reached home, I thought it would be safer if I took a hot shower instead of the cold one that my body was telling me that I needed. I had gotten a little wetter again during the walk back home in the rain despite my umbrella, so I didn't know if the warmth I felt was the usual heat I always feel or if I was feverish.

The hot shower gave me the answer.

Have you ever taken a hot shower when you're hot and sweaty after a workout?

So I'm impervious to heavy rain and cold wind after all. Fuck yeah!













I was reading an article in this month's Nat Geo on solar power and electricity generation. It was written in a rather positive tone but the facts were incredibly negative. The one example that stood out was the comparison of a major US solar power plant, the Nevada Solar One, and the Hoover Dam.

Nevada Solar One:

- Went online in 2007
- World's second largest solar power plant
- Cost US$266m to build
- Estimated to generate 134MWh per year

Hoover Dam:

- Completed in 1936
- 35th largest hydroelectric power station today
- Cost US$49m in 1936, or US$736m in 2008 after adjustment
- Approximate electrical output from turbines is 4,000,000MWh per year

Feel the hopelessness? Costs 1/3 the money, produces negligible electricity compared to the 73-year-old Hoover Dam. Solar technologies - full of hype... and nothing more.







This month's National Geographic also had another interesting article. Apparently, many species of the orchid flower are amazing at their sexual deception techniques.

In one photo, it showed an orchid with petals that looked just like the back of a female orchid bee. It even produces the pheromones and scents to smell just like one. This tricks male orchid bees to have sex with its petals, or at least try to do it. After some frustrating attempts at copulation, it would leave... with sacs of pollen stuck on its back.

So there was sex involved, just not bee sex but orchid sex. And with the poor bee acting as the penis substitute. Seriously, I'm not kidding here because according to the writer, botanists have been known to call pollen-carrying bees "flying penises".

Oh yes, if you have been taking certain health-supplement products made from pollen, you're really eating plant sperms. Just in case you haven't figured it out yet.

This kinda reminds me of people who buy blow-up dolls from sex shops.

And this guy.

(replace the r's with l)

No comments:

Post a Comment