Monday 14 September 2009

Rant 423 / I Torque A Lot So That I Won't Be Too Strained By The Shear Force Of All The Stress I Am Getting


9/11 Conspiracy Theories 'Ridiculous,' Al Qaeda Says


I wonder where the Onion gets all the extras to act as the people getting interviewed in their "news" reports.










One of my professors seems to be really enthusiastic about this clicker thing. It's basically a tiny 12-digit keypad with a wireless modem that we're all issued with this year. All that needs to be done is for the professor to switch on something on his side and we can log into the lecture hall's server.

Now he's going to use it for half of the next test. It's a good idea since it means half the test will be multiple-choice questions. Problem is there is nothing to prove that my answers are received other than the green LED that lits for a second. So far we've done a few trials and it looks fine though.









There is no unintentional spelling mistake in this rant's title.










So my bro installed the Linksys WRT120N Wireless-N router early in the morning. Good thing I haven't been leaving my PC on overnight to download stuff, or I'd be wasting electricity leaving on a PC without a connection to the Internet.

My connection hasn't been improved though. Time to fiddle with the settings. I bet he didn't even bother with that.

Read a little about Wireless-N, found out that it has this little trick known as "channel bonding". So I tried to turn that on in my router (change my frequency from the default "20MHz only" to "40MHz only".

Lost connection, couldn't reconnect. Had to ask my mum to let go of her computer for a min so that I could reconfigure the router through the wired connection from her PC.

So now I know how to turn on "channel bonding" mode in my router but not my adapter. =(

My adapter has its own connection manager but it refuses to be used because it has detected another programme which manages my connections. But the Vista's Network and Sharing Center doesn't give my any option regarding that!











So while I was having dinner I read about dinner. First I was at the Cuttlefish article, then I went on to the Squid article because I didn't know much about their differences.

Now I know 2: their eyes and bones. Cuttlefish pupils are a wavy W shape while squid eyes are similar to our eyes. Cuttlefish have a shield-like bone structure that has a gas chamber for buoyancy control while squids have a feather-shape bone used mainly for growing muscles on.

From squids my curiosity brought me to Giant Squids. Whoa! Those things are monsters! Growing up to a max (deduced from the fact that no one has recorded any sighting of bigger ones) of 13m, they're the reason why krakens exist in fiction.

Above is a dead giant squid frozen in a chunk of ice and preserved in Australia.

Just when I thought those were the biggest, I found the link to Colossal Squid!

LOL! Actually it's a species of giant squids, because giant squids are really just a name for a group of several species of squids that grow to prodigal sizes. Below is a picture of the largest cephalopod ever caught and recorded (the biggest ever recorded was never caught). Cephalopoda is the class of animals that includes octopuses, cuttlefish and squids.

That's... a lot of food, if anyone even dares to eat it. Measuring 4.2m and weighing 495kg, I bet those fishermen really made a fortune with just that one catch of the year, if not decade. I think all my hair would stand if I ever see something like that next to my boat.

Those fishermen weren't even trying to catch it! It was found trying to eat a fish that had been caught on their long line and it didn't want to let go, so they decided to just catch it. And what a catch it turned out to be!

Copypasta from Wiki:

- The beak is considerably smaller than some found in the stomachs of sperm whales, suggesting there are Colossal Squid much larger than this one.

- The eye is 27 cm (10.63 in) wide, with a lens 12 cm across. This is the largest eye of any known animal. These measurements are of the partly collapsed specimen: when living the eye was probably 30 to 40 cm (12 to 16 in) across.

It's eyeballs are bigger than any of our palms and comparable with human heads. @_@











After such a very long time of playing Fallout 3, it's only recently that I detected rumours of nude patches for Fallout 3. There were those for Oblivion, but chicks in Oblivion are fugly. I'm curious, not to mention I'm a straight, sane, red-blooded, male homosapien, so I'm downloading the necessary files just to take a look. How long I look will depend on how good the modders are.

No comments:

Post a Comment