Saturday 5 September 2009

Rant 414 / E-stalker

I was rudely awaken by my bro this morning. The sun wasn't even visible yet and he was already out. Called me at NINE in the morning, when my room was still dark with the curtains drawn. And for what? He needed a lousy file from his laptop, wanted me to log on to Windows Messenger on his laptop to send a Text Document over.

After a very long absence on Windows Messenger, I was not surprised to see a stack of offline messages. Most of them were trash spams due to some naive acquaintances clicking on every link they see. Seriously guys, stop trusting everything you find online. You're contributing heavily to the GDP of Nigeria.

But one message did surprise me. Someone I'm rarely in contact with actually did remember my birthday, a stunning feat that even I have not been able to accomplish by myself after more than two decades!

Shit, that person must be e-stalking me.











After reading Ilium and Olympos yet another time, I've suddenly got this urge to read À la recherche du temps perdu by Marcel Proust. Of course I'm going to read the translated editions; my French isn't good at all. The only French word I know is merde. =P Well not really but I'm not exaggerating much here.

So I've included the first of the seven volumes, Swann's Way, in my cart at OpenTrolley. In Search of Lost Time is, according to most sources, a series of books that centres of the theme of memory.

While Shakespeare explores the meaning of life through the responses and reactions of people to different situations, Proust does the same by analysing the different aspects of memories. Or so I've gathered thus far.

When they finally get my two other books in stock, I will buy all ~$250 worth of books in my cart. At the moment I'm waiting for The Restaurant at the End of the Universe and The Wyrmling Horde.

I like the email notification system they have at OpenTrolley. When you mark a book that's out of stock, they would email you when the stock arrives. Better than the call notification at Acmabooks, since I don't answer calls from unknown numbers.











Re-watched Rush Hour 3 just now and somehow it felt much more hilarious than before. Wonder why.

No comments:

Post a Comment