Tuesday 8 September 2009

Rant 416 / New Mail - Oh Wow Another Penis Enlargement Ad

How huge must my penis get before they would finally shut up?









After a short visit to the Elements forum, I learnt that rainbow decks are the most popular in this game. So it wasn't my complete lack of talent in strategy games, but that there really are too few cards in each colour to form a good deck. Hope the game creator can make more cards soon so that mono-colour decks would become a feasible idea again.

Right now I'm just outdecking my AI opponents most of the time. Outdeck is a term in this game's community which refers to winning by outlasting the enemy's deck, ie the other guy draws his last card of his deck before you. When a player has 0 card on his turn, he loses automatically.









Raphael (the Italian Renaissance artist, not the Ninja Turtle) was such a successful painter that many people who worked in his huge workshop became successful artists after his death. His youngest pupil then was so talented, it is actually difficult to tell if something was painted by him or Raphael himself. Another guy, a labourer who carried stuff for the artists working at the Vatican, managed to get himself a job in Raphael's workshop and also became a well-known painter after Raphael's passing.

I don't know much about art, but this painting by Raphael has to be the closest thing to a photograph I've ever seen. Hell, it's better than many handphone photos out there. Then again, I haven't actually looked closely at any painting for most of my life.











English is such a terrible language to learn. The multitude of synonyms for "penis" and "breasts", "pint" is pronounced "pie-nt" and words beginning with the letter u is preceded by either "a" or "an". Someone should just make a language that doesn't have all sorts of inconsistencies, a language that actually serves the purpose of being a form of communication that allows people to understand each other perfectly. Right now, an Irishman wouldn't be able to understand me, and I wouldn't understand him, even though we're both speaking English!

Oh wait, someone did make a new language like that. Too bad no one gives a fuck about Esperanto. All that crap about sticking to your roots is bullshit. All that is important is to know your roots, but that doesn't mean you have to live and breath it too.

Just because of my skin colour doesn't mean I must speak a certain language. I know more about Chinese history than many Chinese people but my verbal Mandarin and Cantonese is, at the very best, decent. Does that make me more or less Chinese? Am I a still so-called "banana" (yellow outside, white inside) if I know which town my ancestors were from, my exact ancestral ethnic group and my birth date according to the traditional lunar calendar?

I've met people who told me that if my skin is yellow, I am Chinese and hence I must speak Chinese. Not joking here. They know the world is becoming smaller, but they don't see the world's people are also merging together at the same time. Not even when they see increasing numbers people of mixed racial heritage appearing in the media. They look but they don't see!

It is good enough to know what it was before. To insist on living in the past is idiocy.

Hence one should learn the language that most suits one's needs. After all, what would be the point of learning a language if it is pointless for the user to do so? For example, there is little reason for any non-Trekkie to study Klingon.

The purpose of a language is to allow smooth communication between its users. Any hindrance in that process is an issue of inefficiency - and the English language (as used by different people around the world) has fucktons of those. The main thing going for it is that it's the second most widely used language in the world, albeit in rather different forms everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment