Friday 30 September 2011

Rant 864 / Soy Turtles

So this was my first negotiation with a potential supplier in China on Alibaba.com.

Found one of the products similar to what I'm looking for, so I started this chat session with the representative, Ms Chen.

It was weird. Maybe it was because I was too formal, or maybe her English was not that good, but at one point she addressed me as "dear".

Sorry, forgot to take a screenshot.

What prompted me to blog about this was the end of the conversation, when she used an emoticon instead of saying, "Bye."

Am I supposed to reply?


Am I being too formal? Or is this normal among mainland Chinese netizens?

Am I being noob for being surprised by this?

Worst thing is, I don't even get the emoticon right away. I only guessed it meant "Goodbye" by inference. The emoticon for hand-waving that I use is o/ and \o.

Boldened and enlarged them to make it clear they're emoticons and not typos.



Anyway, OMG HER PRICE WAS EPICLY LOW!

The price she quoted excluded the shipping but it was an eighth of what I was told to expect.

AN EIGHTH!

HOLY FUCKING CRAP!

Too bad it didn't fulfil our basic requirements, so I couldn't take advantage of the unbelievably low price.

Initially I suspected a scam, but at that low price, it wouldn't have been a significant problem even if she really does vanish with my money.

The difference was probably due to the location. We're used to ordering from Guangdong, but this supplier is from another part of China. It kinda makes sense but I didn't expect that huge of a price difference.

Anyway, I don't think I'll need to fly to China after all.












The new MMJ town I'm in in Die2Nite is doing pretty well. A bit more drama but things are going fine. A few guys are doing things they shouldn't be doing and a few others are talking about giving up and suiciding already.

As for points, we aren't the best but neither are we bad. In the list in the Oval Office, we're in the middle among the towns that started on the day we had the MMJ.












So I don't like to cook regularly.

To replace the absence of vegetables in my meals, I've been buying fruits instead.

Normally I don't eat fruits because they take time to prepare. Cooked vegetables in my meals didn't.

Now that the latter is no longer true, fruits are the option that require less work.

I don't know if it's currently the mango season or something, but I've been buying those ripe mangoes that cost $1.50 each. Today I found some that was selling at 3 for $4.

All of them were so juicy and sweet, I learnt that I couldn't handle them properly after peeling them.

Nope, I have to eat them with the skin on to get a proper hold.

And it's also impossible not to get one of my hands wet when eating those mangoes.

In the past I didn't have to prepare mangoes myself because during those rare occasions when my mum bought them, she also prepared them for us.

Also cooked Kung Pao Chicken. The only real dish I've cooked this week. Made chicken porridge for two days in a row but that doesn't count.

Used a jar of Kung Pao Chicken sauce for it, with 2 drumsticks that cost $2.50 total bought at the wet market, 2 cloves of garlic, a few spring onions and some ginger.

No dried chilli. Only realized that when I started preparing the ingredients.

Sad.

Also, it's so hard to remove the meat from the drumsticks when it's not fully thawed.

I could barely tell the ice from the narrow pointy bone next to the leg bone.

Turned out alright. The sauce saved the day. The replacement of dried chilli using a packet of chilli pepper from Pastamania did not work. No effect at all.

Oh well. Since I didn't throw anything away, it was decent enough.











So my terrapin doesn't like soy beans.

I prepared my soy beans yesterday by soaking them for an entire evening, then leaving them in the fridge to soak some more before boiling them for 10mins this morning.

They tasted edible. Not soft like the sort I'm used to but edible.

They were actually for another culinary experiment involving some baking but my schedule appeared too busy today so I thought I wouldn't waste them by feeding them to the turtle.

He's like my garbage bin that only gets rid of edible wastes.

Or so I thought.

I tested a few and he ate them all, so I threw in the rest of the beans. It was about 2 cups, enlarged from soaking in all the water.

Didn't eat them all.

I had to squat for like 20mins picking them out with a glove on.

The glove didn't help with the grip but I didn't want to soak my hand that long in the one-day-old water.

I'll never feed these to him in such large amounts again. Maybe a small handful at a time, no more.















I like how she reloads her double-barrel shotgun so quickly we don't even see her hands do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment