Sunday 18 September 2011

Rant 856 / Beijing Cabbage Is Not Chinese Cabbage.

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217&amp

That was certainly unexpected. I was like "HOLY SHIT WTF!"

I'm so glad today isn't one of those days when I feel too lazy to even switch on the lights.

That was a damn good comic.












Cooked dinner again tonight. I'm now the new family chef. I guess that's a big clue as to what's happening in my life.

Honestly I didn't even know what the vegetable I cooked was called in Chinese. Had to show the Beijing cabbage to my mum to ask her.

This is Beijing cabbage:



Apparently Wikipedia's closest result to "Beijing cabbage" was "Chinese cabbage" which is actually this:






I have a Chinese cabbage too but my mum used one for soup a few days ago (I bought two) so I thought I should give it a few more days before I cook this again.


Turned out pretty well. I marinated some pork loin slices in white pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce and chicken stock for an hour or two, then stir-fried it in chopped cabbage, more oyster sauce, more chicken stock, half a teaspoon of salt and some potato starch solution.

Then I steamed a piece of beancurd ("silky smooth" is what it's called on the packaging) in some minced pork and a bit of chopped spring onions, and added soy sauce and sesame oil and the rest of the chopped spring onions after it was done. It was done when the pork was cooked.

It smelled like success so I had to take some pictures. Tasted like it too.

I call it a success because it was decently edible (and the beancurd was great) despite the fact that I did not measure anything at all - I just added whatever I felt like adding in whatever amounts I felt I like using.




There were two things I shouldn't have done.

First, the pork was way overcooked in the cabbage. The cabbage had to be cooked long to soften it but the pork didn't need that.

Maybe I should use fishcake and minced pork instead next time so I won't have to worry about this. Fishcake doesn't require cooking so I can just throw them in after the cabbage was done.

I could also add the pork slices when the cabbage is almost done, but I suck at estimating the time. I actually have no idea how long it takes to cook the cabbage properly; what I did was I let it cook over medium heat till it looked right.

Taste testing was done after I poured it out. Bad habit, I know.

Second, the salt in the first dish was totally unnecessary.

There was also no need to add the spring onion before cooking - it became tasteless after the steaming. But I don't consider this an actual mistake, just a tiny waste of food.

Unfortunately my mum thought I hadn't taken my share, that the food left in the kitchen was mine and I didn't cook anything for her so she cooked instant noodles for herself instead.

:(

If you have any experience at cooking your own food at steamboat (aka hotpot) restaurants, it comes surprisingly handy when you have to start cooking for yourself regularly.

Because that's what's happening for me. For example, the beancurd. The cooking time for this small amount of pork was easy to gauge, and the beancurd itself doesn't require any cooking, only sanitization from the steam.












LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment