Thursday 8 September 2011

Rant 847 / I Forgot About Biscuits



Somehow I found the end frickin funny.


























In LoL public games, there isn't exactly a team strategy or tactic, except for one.

I think the same goes for most of the other similar games like DotA and HoN, and most likely DotA 2 too.

It's just hard to coordinate with strangers properly, for some reason.

But the exception is what we call "all mid".

It's a decent tactic, very simple, quite risky and not very smart. To me, it feels very much like a all-or-nothing move.

I guess for public games, that's the best tactic we can use.

It's self-explanatory - all 5 of us go together to attack the middle lane.

The outcome of this tactic always tells us something.

Success, IMO, depends on the destruction of the inhibitor on the lane.

If we succeed, it just means we're significantly better than them overall. If their entire team is there, then they aren't as good with their heroes. If they aren't all there, then their coordination and teamwork is worse than ours.

If we fail, the more of them who were fighting us, the less inferior we are to them. But the fact that we lost means we're a worse team than they are in general, no matter the reason.

If we down all 3 towers but couldn't down the inhibitor, it's a partial failure, which is basically failure with a possibility of salvaging the situation.

Failure means that if they try the same tactic on us immediately, they will succeed in taking down even our inhibitor. However, this may not happen, for whatever reasons. If they don't, and we do it again once we're back, we may still have a chance to take down the inhibitor.

If the second attempt works, then the two teams are actually pretty even except the opposing team either had no balls or they were just lucky the first time.

If it doesn't, then the tactic completely fails.

There are only a few ways the opposing team can respond:

1) return to base to defend
2) come to meet us before we reach their base

Both of these usually work only if the entire team does it. If the entire team isn't there and they still manage to hold against this tactic, it only means our team is far inferior to theirs.

Also, if they choose the latter, it shows they're more aggressive and have pretty good coordination, a possible sign of a leader, usually a player who happen to like to direct the team to attack together and produces result.

There is also a third, albeit rarely attempted response, which is to have the entire team attack either the top or bottom lane and ignore their own base.

This happens when both teams are equally confident and most likely the opposing team was already prepared to attack something together.

The outcome of this really depends on whether either team's morale breaks, causing members to retreat and defend, and which team has superior firepower.













I think I'm finally getting a little more comfortable with my work. Getting used to the basic routines, like signing cheques and talking to the workers about problems.

There's still a major problem of finding stuff to sell though.

Btw I hate signing cheques. I'm always afraid they might reject my signature so I have to practice a few times on some rough paper before signing them. Each cheque costs S$0.50 too, so I get additional pressure to avoid any sort of mistake on it.

I sign stuff very rarely, so sometimes my signature varies a little.












Bought and tried Yorick today in LoL. Hasty decision but I like zombies.

Tried it for 1 game, PVP, unlike my usual practice of testing unfamiliar heroes against bots first.

First impression after this game was...

Yorick's very tanky, to the point where he sacrifices a lot of damage-dealing power for survivability.

His laning capability is amazing as long as I dodge most of the incoming harassment. Mainly its because of my Omen of Famine which does damage upon casting and continues to attack enemies with 35% of my attack damage for 5 seconds. 40% of all these damage is drained to me, effectively making this a non-channelling lifesteal spell. (40% of 35% is 14%.)

If I want to, I just need to use Clarity as one of my Summoner spells and I can practically stay in the lane forever, or until I'm successfully ganked. I don't think even Ashe can make me retreat without help.

Morever, my passive ability gives me 5% reduced damage and increased attack for each Omen I have alive, including the one summoned by my ultimate, the Omen of Death.

This Omen of Death is pretty interesting. With it, I can clone anyone in my team including myself. This clone has 50% of my attack and HP and is works the same way as Morde's clone, except my clone loses 10% HP every second, ie it lasts only 10s.

If the ally or myself dies before the clone does, the clone dies and the original hero is temporarily reanimated with full HP, but still loses 10% HP per second. That's usually long enough to kill someone if I had cloned a fighter or assassin-type hero.

The Omen of Pestilence is my slowing ability that does area damage, slows affected enemies by 20-40% for 1.5s, summons a ghoul which has an aura that has a similar slowing effect, ie it will slow them for a total of 6.5s if the ghoul follows them. Sounds useful, but I can't control who the ghoul attacks.

Finally there's the Omen of War. It's my best damage ability which lets me do a lot more damage with my next blow. When it lands, a ghoul is summoned that does more damage than the usual 35%, and both it and I get a movement speed buff.

All 3 ghouls from my non-ultimate Omens last 5 seconds because they lose 20% HP per second. The clone from my ultimate lasts 10s. Enemies can attack them to speed up the process, and we can heal them to make them last longer.

If all 4 are up at the same time, I get a total of 20% decreased damage received and increased attack damage.

On the whole, it has a rather poor damage-dealing capability. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong because my first priority was to focus on my lifestealing Omen of Famine.

But if I wanted to attack more and raise my Omen of War, I'll have to keep going into melee range all the time. Not exactly the best idea in early game when I don't have the mana to summon more ghouls to buff myself up in case they decide to attack me together when I go forward to use this ability.

In other words, it can't do much burst damage, ie however I spam all my abilities I won't hurt anyone as much as I could have when playing as Maokai, Mordekaiser or Gragas.

Hence I feel it's not very useful to use a DPS build to focus on its damage. Yorick is very much a tank and it's hard to make it a non-tank or "semi-tank" unlike others like Maokai.

Which makes me kinda sad because my harassment doesn't even hurt if my lane opponents are also tanks. I was laning against Malphite and someone else just now. My Omen of Famine barely scratches his rocky skin.

Still it's kinda fun and I like how most people don't know anything about Yorick, giving me the element of surprise to some degree.

I need to buy new runes to give myself more attack damage instead of ability damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment