Monday 26 September 2011

Rant 860 / Crusty Butts



It is inevitable.

And taxi drivers and chauffeurs will be out of work.

Soon, everyone is going to be able to buy their own cars without going to driving schools first.











Some scientists observed experimental results which seem to imply that things can travel beyond the speed of light.

Everything is being said very carefully because the scientific community isn't as objective as it claims to be. Some things are just... based on faith (and logic based on that faith).

I assume they're going to repeat the experiment at least one more time, if they haven't already, to prove that nothing went wrong the first time.

This is an extremely serious claim. If the results are true, some of Einstein's most famous contributions to the scientific world will be rendered useless. I bet there are many scientists out there who have their research based on some of these contributions, and their mark in history may be on the line here.

Therefore, it's not entirely going to be about the right and wrong of the theory, but partly about personal ambitions, ie politics.

And this is just one among many that will affect the outcome.












Completed Lonesome Road, the final DLC for Fallout: New Vegas.

Dramatic, kinda. I can tell that they really tried.


It was dramatic in a way, but not the "OMFG NOOKS!" sort. I don't know. I guess I was too... distanced from the action.

I can't say whether it was me or the game, so I'm not saying anymore about that.

It was nice. A lot of looting too. I'm a little dismayed by the absence of any epic bosses. The Marked Men bosses looked no different from the other Marked Men, so I didn't even know they were bosses till I was looting the bodies.









So the left ear hook started leaking green goo too. The right ear hook is still fine with the tape. Haven't needed to re-bandage it yet. Either the tape's stronger than I thought or the pressure has dropped sufficiently.

But the left ear hook leaked on two spots simultaneously one day. I thought I solved it by applying the same tape on both but the goo from the lower crack managed to squeeze its way out of the upper end of the tape. Under the tape, the goo has visibly occupied like a whole centimetre inside.

I was actually expecting the blister to burst.

...

A little tighter now, slightly harder to put on and take off. Put a lot more tape to make it tighter to prevent similar issues for a longer time.

It's barely been half a year since the IT Show when I bought it. I know because there's a technological gadget exposition every quarter of the year, and there's been two since I bought it, the second of which ended earlier this month.

I guess this is what I get for S$11 (IIRC). At least it's still comfortable and working.









So my mum had transferred my AIA insurance to my name without telling me. After skipping premium payments for 4 months (I think) I got a call from the guy who took over our stuff ever since the last one... I don't know what happened to her lol.

Maybe she got promoted or left the company. Who knows? She was the nice one who managed to get our claims through quickly when my father passed away so that we could pay the hospital bills until the government sorted out the intestate stuff before it could pass us his money. My parents didn't have a shared bank account.

Anyway the new guy told me if I paid this month's premium that day, he could help me waive the interest for it.

My reply was that I was considering cancelling it altogether. My reason is that my income is still unsteady, and I don't know if I could maintain this for long after I've sold all the old goods ordered by my mum.

Of course I didn't tell him that.

He then of course persuaded me to continue, and he had a few very good points.

My parents had bought this policy 15-16 years ago, and this was supposed to last for 20 years, ie just a few years more to get the maximum benefits.

Moreover, the difference between what I was considering and what my father had planned was in the thousands of dollars. Compare this with the fixed deposit I'm currently investing in, I'd almost never get the same amount with the money I have unless I place everything I have in the same bank - and that's not I want ever since I learnt that even old established banks can collapse.

Personally I also believe its benefits are probably considered very good these days, even though I don't know what they are. (Honestly I don't like to care about money matters.) I mean, things were cheaper back then. For the same premiums I pay for similar policies today, I'll probably never get the same in returns.

It's just like how the doorframes in my home are made of a kind of wood that costs exorbitant amounts of money these days. I know because we asked some people about replacing those when we changed our doors some years ago. When the guy came over to do an onsite survey, he was so excited about telling my mum NEVER to change those frames because they were still good and would be extremely expensive to get the same wood.

Financially, I could afford 4-5 years of the premiums with my inheritance even without a steady income, so I've decided to go on with it, using internet banking to pay the premiums. Just paid one month of it as a trial since I was a virgin in this internet bill payment thing. Got the receipt from AIA so I paid the rest of what I owed just now, including the interests incurred before.

Interestingly, premiums owed to AIA are considered loans, and when I pay for it, instead of typing L in front of the policy number which is the designated letter for insurance policies, I type R which means it's for a loan.

Good thing the accumulated interest was only a couple bucks.

Using my inheritance is something I want to avoid in all things, but I see no harm in this. I'll just put it back when this is over.













Started buying stuff from the wet market instead of Shop N Save.

THINGS ARE SO CHEEEEEEAAAAAPPPP!!!

For about S$7 I managed to get a whole bag full of greens.

Then again, I picked the wrong veggies to buy.

I only bought vegetables and fruits that day. At first it was because I thought the meat and poultry stalls close at noon. By the time I learnt different, I didn't have the strength to carry so many things. I'll probably have to consider bringing the trolley that my mum used to use in the future.

As for the wrong vegetables, I actually planned to buy several, including kangkong. The problem was that there was no kangkong for sale that day. To prevent the possibility that I couldn't find it because I couldn't recognize raw kangkong (I've never seen raw ones before, embarassingly), I simply bought one bunch of every vegetable that had a long stem.

This was a safe plan because I have a hungry terrapin that eats anything green. It even tried to eat a candy wrapper that somehow got blown in through the window. Of course it didn't swallow. It's kinda picky. I once watched it pick the flesh off a piece of pear, leaving the skin whole.

The skin also vanished a couple hours later, but that's not the point.

Anyway, I got a bunch of watercress and sweet potato plants.

The watercress wasn't a big problem. I could make soup with it.

Sweet potato plants, on the other hand, was a significant issue.

They cannot be eaten without a bit of preparation, namely peeling the stems.

Unfortunately, sweet potato stems have a chewy skin. Therefore if I cook it I'll not only have to clean them but also peel them one by one.

No wonder it's so cheap.

But that's not as bad as it sounds. I tested it on my terrapin and it's totally okay with the unpeeled stems, so I can just wash them and throw them in. Maybe chop them up into inch-long pieces to let it have an easier time.

And I'll never buy it again. Too much work. I'm no housewife and I'm not that broke yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment