Thursday 8 September 2011

Rant 848 / Why Isn't Deep Fried Chicken A Traditional Dish For The Chinese?




Author is an anon, I bet.











After playing a few more rounds as Yorick against bots, I think I should reconsider my opinion of this hero.

The burst damage, ie the damage I can do at most within a second or two, is considerably more if I focus my runes and masteries on my normal physical damage, and put my Omen of Famine at second priority, replacing the top priority skill with Omen of Pestilence (my slowing ability).

Furthermore, I don't need Clarity for the extra mana. For the rounds I've played so far, I rarely used Clarity beyond early game because my spells, though not powerful, cost little mana.

Still, it's still less than what other heroes I've used in the past can do. On the other hand, due to the low mana costs, I can do a lot more damage overall if given enough time, eg while chasing an enemy.

I'm going to consider placing my Omen of War as my second priority skill and putting my lifesteal Famine as third to increase its damage output. That would require even less mana because War costs only 40mana at all levels.

This is made even more viable because raising the level of Famine merely increases the damage of the spell upon casting and not the damage of the Famine ghoul itself. If my physical damage is high enough, the 20-30 damage increase of the spell per level would be less important. After all, the most important thing about this ability is lifesteal IMO.

I think I'll try this next game.

On a semi-unrelated note, the Omen of Death's clone does not lose 10% HP per second. Instead, it simply dies after 10 seconds. Either the description's outdated or it's not losing HP due to a bug. Also, the clone has 50-100% of the target's max HP and attack, not mine unless I'm the target.

As for the build, I've been using Elementz's build on Mobagames.com but I'm making some big changes to it. For example, I completely ignored Defense masteries and spent those points on Offense instead  In addition, I skipped the potions in the beginning because I stay behind my creeps most of the time, using Pestilence occasionally to get some creep kills.

...

Played a few more rounds in LoL as Yorick against real people just now. Looks like I'm on the right track.

It also helps that people don't know much about this hero.

First, my ghouls' Attack Damage is 35% of mine, so they don't do jack shit in the early game. It really amuses me to see my opponents run away from my ghouls at first, then attack them later instead of completely ignoring altogether, which is what I would have done.

Second, I really like how many LoL players are not aware that my ghouls actually do magic damage despite having attack damage that is proportional to mine. In other words, armour doesn't protect them from my ghouls, but magic resist does. In one match, their entire team just went for armour items because my whole team appeared to be the physical-damage types, including myself. It was awesome when my ghouls actually hurt them in late game.

The one thing that doesn't benefit me is when my own teammates don't know about my ultimate, the Omen of Death.

Since they only last 10s when they get reanimated, they should just go all out attack instead of doing any sort of defensive action. They have nothing to lose at that point - they're literally dead men walking!

So it gets really pointless when my reanimated ally continues to run away from the battle like he did just before he died.

I should tell my teammates what it does at the beginning of every game.












Mittens. I've been ordered to find mittens of a certain kind, the sort that feels very nice on the hands and prevents frostbite. Not going to say what kind :P

And I've never worn mittens of any sort in my entire life.

Mittens.












Just watched the Chinese film Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame.

It made me realize I've never really thought about how big China was back then, and how similar its economy was to what we have today.

 Somehow I've always had this impression that ancient China never mixed much with other kingdoms and empires back then, or at least before the steam engine became popular. Same with the rest of the world.

Probably because most stories set in ancient times, both historical and fiction, rarely mention people of foreign origins.

It's the same feeling I got when I learnt about what people normally drank in the Song dynasty, eg fresh fruit juice. In both films and novels, nobody has ever mentioned someone in ancient China drinking juice, only wine and tea.

And I'm all like," Why didn't I think of that?" because it totally made sense and was something so obvious yet I completely missed it.

So... did the ancient Chinese eat deep fried chicken?

I mean, seriously, it's perfectable doable with their level of technology and they would have to use delicious lard instead of crappy vegetable oil like us. And if they had the flour for buns, then they have the flour for fried chicken, right?

If so, why isn't it among our common traditional recipes despite being so tasty? The Cantonese and the French have all sorts of ways to cook all kinds of food, so how come there isn't a Cantonese or French style fried chicken???

Why is deep fried chicken not a traditional dish for any civilization other than the Scottish people??

WHYWHYWHY?

Speaking of the Scots, why is deep fried food so deeply entrenched into their culture? I mean, even in modern times they've also invented the fried Mars Bars. That cannot be the only new deep fried food they've tried; it's probably the only one that got really popular outside of Scotland.

They must have had an abundance of lard for centuries to result in this.

The Scots are such lucky people.

No comments:

Post a Comment