Saturday 17 September 2011

Rant 855 / Do Modems Have An Afterlife?

FRI


So "Dick" is actually short for "Richard".

Seriously, WHAT???!?!?

Apparently back in the day it was trendy to give nicknames in England by changing the first consonants. It seems that "r" was disliked due to historical and cultural reasons so people named "Richard" initially were nicknamed "Rick", then later got called names like "Hick" or "Dick".

"Hick" didn't last long but Dick is now an actual name, and even became a last name.










Poor Germany. It got into the EU thinking it could give German companies free access to a much larger market.

Now everyone's looking at it for monetary aid.

Angela Merkel is openly refusing to lend anymore money.


German Chancellor Angela Merkel again bluntly rejected such bonds as a solution to the crisis on Thursday, saying that "collectivizing debts" would not solve the problem.

"In order to bring about common interest rates, you need similar competitiveness levels, similar budget situations. You don't get them by collectivizing debts," she said.

I think that's rather mild compared to what the rest of Germany wants. Also,



Oh those Italians.












So while I was looking at my bookshelf to see what I can read tonight I found a small Hello Kitty painting blocking my books.

I thought it was my mum's but she said she thought it was mine. Don't ask me why.

So I took it down and looked at the back. There, I found some really mushy stuff for my bro handwritten by his girlfriend.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE PLACE HIS FRICKIN LOVE LETTER ON MY BOOKSHELF?

What was written there was never meant for my eyes, or anyone else's except my bro's for that matter.

Dammit. What's my bro thinking?

Of course I asked him. He said he had nowhere else to put it.

I left it on the section of the shelves where we keep our trophies from our younger days. Why didn't he think of that????

Why did he make me to read his love letter?














So my modem's been dead for over 24 hours. I called the customer care hotline and got transferred to their TV technical assistance department because apparently this is done when there's nobody attending to the hotline.

Damn. It's Friday night. It seems even the 24/7 customer care service doesn't work 24/7 :(

So I left my number and account number with the guy and he'll pass them to the Broadband guys when they get back.

24 to 48 hours.

I sadden. A whole weekend without broadband internet.

If my modem somehow ressurects before the technican gets here, I'm going to switch it off again just to show him.




To make things worse, I've encountered what is apparently a common bug in Civ V, which I've been playing today.

It seems for a lot of Civ V players, the game crashes in around mid to late game, often repeatedly on the same turn.

That's what I've been getting.

Hence I'm forced to stop playing Civ V.

And I was doing so well :(

Even successfully deflected a losing war against England and the Irquois by pulling a very strong Germany into it. England lost the city right next to its capital and scrambled to sign peace treaties with us.

I'm the sort of player who dislike the military aspect of Civ V.

So I can't play Civ V.

What do?










 Made meatballs. It was surprisingly easy to make them round; it was surprisingly difficult to keep them round while frying.

The problem is that the soft meat flattens at the bottom as it rests on the frying pan. I think the only way to make sure they stay round is to deep fry them so that they can harden before they touch the bottom. Maybe.

Deliberately avoided mixing the chopped onions and and pepper thoroughly to give them some degree of variety.

And partly out of pure laziness.

Then made some simple gravy using some roasted-meat-flavoured gravy mix cooked with some onion rings. I initially cut those rings to make fried onion rings but when I saw the darkened oil after frying the meatballs, I decided it was too much work to fry more stuff in some fresh oil in a clean pan.

Result:




 I almost forgot how to tell if the meat's thoroughly cooked :\

Fortunately, while I was frying the first few balls I recalled hearing from someone that I just need to poke through the ball with a chopstick. If the ball feels very soft or doesn't cling to my chopstick, it's not ready.

The only real problem with the meatballs was that they were boring. I need to give them more flavour next time. The gravy just wasn't enough.





SAT





Modem's still dead. ISP still hasn't called and most likely will be calling only on Monday.












My Burberry Body perfume sample arrived from Germany. It's just a 2ml bottle filled with the perfume that's meant for women.

I got it for the joy of getting freebies. It was simple anyway - I merely "Liked" Burberry's FB page.

Now I wonder how I shall use it since nobody at home wants it.

Took more pictures of it because it came with the most elaborate packaging I've ever seen for a tiny sample.
It came in this cardboard box.

Why is this printed in French when it's from Germany using Deutsche Post?




It came in a glass bottle instead of a scented sheet of paper or something that they usually use in magazines.


I'm definitely not spraying this on myself when I go out :\

Not that I use perfume (or cologne) at all in the first place, only deodorant.




And check out those ingredients.



I've never looked at the ingredient list on perfume bottles. This looks more complicated than a can of Coke, and Coke's list already makes it feel less like a human beverage and more like something people shouldn't put in their mouths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment