Tuesday 31 May 2011

Rant 787 / If I Leave The Title Space Blank, Would It Matter?



Johnson is the name of the skull and a slang for the male genital.













This is so funny, at one point I was beginning to get worried I might suffocate from laughing so hard.

(Queef = vaginal flatulence)







I survived for 25 days! Died last night from DEHYDRATION instead of a zombie attack.

325 points. If I had been killed by zombies while hiding, I'd have survived for 26 days and raised my score further, but I wasn't aware of this till after I died. I'm not sure if it was possible anyway. Would the system handle my Dehydrated status first or the zombie attack?

The 3 nights outside taught me a lot.

First, the staff does work. The icon for it looked like a tiny stick so I'd never expected it to kill anything, but it did... twice.

Second, since we can only search those special zones once per day, I should follow the others as they clear the way to these tiles to take advantage of their work and to make sure it's depleted before the path gets infested again the next day.

Third, having "decent" chances of survival is actually very good. However, the fact that the best we can get is 90%, it still means that if we stay outside, it better be worth the 1-in-10 probability of death.









While I was eating this loaf of bread (the big oval-shaped sort, not the sliced kind) I noticed it cost $0.60. Generally speaking I don't look at prices when I buy plain and obviously cheap stuff like this.

So it occured to me that this bread is cheaper than cooked rice. Obviously it's not the same as comparing with raw rice since I'd have to compare raw rice with flour, salt and yeast.

But anyway, for $0.60 I'd definitely not get rice of the same volume. Maybe they may hit the same weight (therefore making them equal) but when it comes to eating by itself, I prefer bread to rice. I don't know. Both are fragrant in their own ways but I'm able to appreciate the flavour of the bread more than that of rice.

Which brings me to the actual story. I noticed that it wasn't made using yeast, yet it was cheap. This didn't seem right because yeast can be reused, ie with a mother dough. It's something I'd once considered making but never bothered because I didn't bake often enough.

A mother dough is basically a piece of dough that's already filled with active yeast. A baker could tear a part of it or just dump the whole thing (depending on volume) into his dough instead of adding new yeast, and later he could just tear out a piece of this new dough to keep as a mother dough. This way, a baker could theoretically have a perpetual source of yeast and permanently save on the cost of that ingredient.

If so, shouldn't bread made with yeast be cheaper than those made with baking soda? These are the only 2 things I'm aware of that can make those bubbles in dough, and baking soda does not reproduce itself.

At this low price, obviously the baker wanted to keep the budget to the minimal. Therefore shouldn't he have used yeast instead?

After some googling, I learnt that bakers today do not use mother dough. Instead, they now add new yeast or soda directly into their dough to make bread. My guess is this allows them to better control the quality and quantity of the yeast in the mass-produced bread, if they use yeast at all. Moreoever, who knows what evolution and natural genetic mutations might do to the yeast in the long run?

This makes sense. Yeast, despite its ability to reproduce, is more expensive than baking soda for some reason.

But it sucks. Bread made with yeast has a nice aroma while bread made with baking soda is almost completely devoid of smell and taste.

If you don't know what yeast smells or tastes like, buy a packet and open it. The smell should be familiar to you immediately. At least it was for me.

Hence plain bread made with yeast aren't really "plain", but yeast-flavoured.











Witcher 2. Sex scenes and cleavage everywhere. Hopefully the trend doesn't spread, or it would be like the sexualization of Japanese animes in recent decades.

I don't recognize too many side characters. I should have played Witcher 1 again but the game wasn't good enough for me to endure another run of it. Fortunately recogizing those people wasn't important for my understanding of the plot, so it's not important.

Very nice game. Love the level designs.

Main thing that bugs me is the length of time it takes for the menu to open after I hit Esc. I do it often in order to save and quicksaving isn't useful because it overwrites itself. Very annoying sometimes when it takes like 30s to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment