Friday 27 May 2011

Rant 785 / It's Strange How Croissants Don't Get Mouldy As Quickly As Bread Loaves.

Wed




9 of us died last night. 6 zombies attacked me and were unable to overrun my 6 points' worth of defenses. That was pure luck! If there was just a single zombie more, I'd be dead. Seriously, 2-3 of the other guys died despite having over 10 points of Home Defense.

Tonight will be easy but tomorrow is the end. Tomorrow's estimate is up to 3850 zombies. We have used up all our matches we've been saving up since we arrived to this town for last night's attack and temporary defense structures, as I've said before, won't be giving us the 800 points that we will need.

So this town is ending on the 23rd day. I'll have survived 23 days.

Not enough to beat the top score. According to another guy's calculations, we have to hit day 25 just to be 3 points short, and that's assuming all 35 of us had survived.

Oh well, at least we hit day 23. I've never even gone past day 5 before, as I've said when I first joined this mega-coalition.

...

Yep. It's official. We're screwed tomorrow. Even the core members of the mega-coalition have given up. Our final stand shall not be made in town, but scattered all over the desert.

We will spread out and hide outside after tonight's attack. This way, some of us will survive yet another day to raise the score further.










So the problem with my desktop was my motherboard. Apparently there was some problem with the first batch of Sandy Bridge and they gave it to me. Or maybe I picked it. I don't know. I wasn't aware of this problem. I heard some news mentioning the name but I didn't read them. Bad move. Great hindsight.

It was something about the absence of "P3 Stepping" and that this caused problems with SATA drives.

So they replaced it and now I'm reinstalling everything. Happy happy joy joy.

This is how my day is going to be like:

Install programmes.

I know. Trust me, I've been there... like 3 times in the past few weeks.

So the other guy whom I spoke to yesterday was wrong. It was only the motherboard that was changed.







Installation (after Windows) began at 1.45pm.

...

5.31pm  Finally! No more Windows Updates! And the Firefox Sync worked!











Starhub is about to offer free R-rated movies.

I AM DEFINITELY NOT KIDDING HERE!!

Starhub is offering selected participants one whole month (July, to be more specific) of free trial of R21 Video-on-Demand.

I'm guessing they're trying to test the effectiveness of their safety measures that prevent underaged viewers from accessing it, so if you're signing up, I believe you'll get a better chance if you check "Yes" for the question, " Do you have family members under the age of 21?"


Contrary to what I think you'd believe, I'm not signing up for this trial. The only TV in my home is in the living room.










Thu


The end is nigh in Die2Nite. What we expect to happen to us is exactly what the game's name says.

Die2Nite.

It's now every man for himself. I've looted one food and one water (out of the final 2) regardless of water schedule since the rules no longer apply, a machete (the second best weapon in the game AFAIK), a water pistol with 3 shots (good for 3 zombies) and, best of all, I've been holding the Trestle I found yesterday.

We didn't need the extra defense anyway.

Now I do. The trestle improves my chances of survival while camping.

I'm at [5,-6], at the furthest known zombie-free structure on the map, cleared yesterday by us scavengers.

I wasn't planning on using the water today but 11 steps out of town gave me the "Thirsty" status and I needed a few more APs to prepare the site. I had to come here because of the building, a Fast Food Restaurant, which improves my chances of survival (level 3 out of 6, aka "decent"). What's the point of having one water for the chance of surviving a third day (if the zombies that arrive on this tile don't ruin my chances first) if my chances for tonight are low?

Also spent the 2 APs for improving my camoflage and "finding a tomb".

This is as good as I can get it to be. Alone, with another piece  of food I found on the way here, holding a machete and a filled water pistol (only had to kill 2 zombies on the way here with the machete), site improved by the trestle and the building and my actions.

I'll most likely survive tonight, but definitely not tomorrow due to thirst.







Tried Witcher 2, currently at Chapter 1, but I'll talk about that later.

Now, Brink.

Coming from Bethesda, I had expected something similar to Fallout 3.

It wasn't.

The elongated faces and and huge noses give it a somewhat cartoonish look despite the textures.

As for the gameplay, I've only played the first mission. The game comes in missions, not one continous stretch.

Immediately I thought of Bad Company 2. It's basically the same system. You have maps with missions and you have 4 classes to choose from. Shoot enemies and complete the missions.

The difference between Campaign and multiplayer is only that in Campaign you play the maps in chronological order.

In short, it's just another ripoff in the genre that's set in the future. Should be fun but I had expected something else because I didn't actually know anything about the game beforehand.





As for Witcher 2, L.A. Noire spoilt me. It raised my standards for animations of the humans. After watching L.A. Noire, Witcher 2's obviously great animations and graphics were just... inferior, sadly.

But only in terms of facial expressions. All other graphics in the game are just plain awesome.

Moreover, it's got lots of nudity, which L.A. Noire didn't.

In fact, I have no idea what the developers of Witcher 2 were aiming for when they decided to add so much more foul language and nudity into this game than its prequel. Seriously, it's as if everyone in Temeria are now sailors or rappers or both.

Oh, and the whores. One hour into the game and I'm at an inn whose basement is a brothel.

As for nudity in general in the game, I can see why everyone is coming to my blog looking for "Witcher 2 sex". Every female in the game seems like to show off whatever cleavage they have constantly (even the elf criminal who was about to be hung), and the graphics (especially if you play on High settings like I do) really improves the appeal.

Best of all, ten minutes into the game and we got to see a close up view of Triss Merigold naked.

Combat. Combat's more interesting now. In the first game, it's all about timing. You just stare at the sword and click at the right time. Now, there are other things to do, like dodging and parrying. Lots of parrying or dodging is necessary in the game, or at least on Normal difficulty. Can't just keep slashing like there's no tomorrow.

Traps, bombs, throwing knives, spells and potions also add to the variety of ways you can fight enemies.










Apparently in China they're using prison labour for farming in MMORPGs.

"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour," Liu told the Guardian. "There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [£470-570] a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off."

I guess this is another way society is adapting to the computer era.

If this could be somehow legalized, it would make a great part-time job. Unfortunately if this is ever legalized, the profit to time and effort ratio would be drastically reduced, probably to the level of those jobs on Mturk.










Oh wow I love this Internet Download Manager!

Ever considered the fact that your bandwidth is far too large to be downloading your crap so slowly?

I used to use Flashget, but IDM is better, from what I've seen so far.

The best feature is probably how it automatically makes Firefox download stuff with it. No longer do I need to copy and paste links; all I do is click on the links and IDM will pop up with all options and stuff.

As for downloading stuff from websites like Rapidshare, I'm still using JDownloader.

Do not go to JDownloader.com. It's a fake website and the file is a virus.










So some guy started a thread in EDMW with a piece of fake news saying an F-16 crashed in Singapore earlier today.

He was arrested.

A netizen reported the incident to the police at 12.20pm.
After confirming that the message was a hoax, the police conducted an investigation and arrested the suspect at about 8pm at his home at Bedok Reservoir Road.


That's a lot of preparation. Probably had to make sure they had done enough to cover their asses incase something goes wrong.

Central Police Division commander Tan Hung Hooi said the police take a serious view of such irresponsible Internet postings that could cause public alarm and will spare no effort to track the perpetrators and take them to task.

I wanted to link that thread here but it was deleted. No surprise there.







EDIT: WHY ARE THE LINKS IN THIS POST GREEN?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment