Friday 3 June 2011

Rant 788 / Meta Mega

So Cuba is going the same way as China - support Capitalism while insisting that it's still Communist. I guess everyone knows Communism doesn't work in our world where it's frowned upon and any country supporting it gets hit by over 9000 sanctions.

I'm not saying Communism doesn't work, only that it doesn't work here and now.

Castro wants to cut 1 million workers, or 20 percent of the workforce, from government payrolls and needs something for them to do.

I guess that's a good excuse too. 


















Rereading Rama II, Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed. It's still painful to read some parts of it.


In Rama II and Garden of Rama, there are a few thing that ruined the reading experience.


First, the villains in Rama II got away and went on to become successful people. 


Second, the humans in the second book were pretty annoying. In fact, I only barely scanned through the entire half of the book dealing with them just because I didn't want to stop halfway.


But now I think I'll skip the last book. If I'd wanted to read about real problems, I'd pick up a newspaper.

...


Third book feels better than the latter half of the second so far. Man, I've forgotten so much.










Ordered KFC last night but the coleslaw was spoilt. Didn't bother complaining to them. I'll just boycott it from now on. No point saving the few bucks for this kind of risk. What if the next time it's not the coleslaw but something more important? Didn't Yahoo news report that someone get a mouldy burger some weeks ago? 


If I want to go for cheap next time I'll stick with McDelivery.

Hopefully another restaurant with fried chicken will start offering delivery service in my area in the near future, like Arnold's Chicken.










Finished Witcher 2. Initially felt it was shorter than I had expected. A prologue, 3 chapters and an epilogue. Then I thought about it again and found it as long as I could expect from a game made today.

Final boss was the easiest of all. I had 4 vigour, so with Quen, I was able to finish it virtually unhurt. I have no idea what the challenge was supposed to be, especially after the bosses in chapter 1 and 2.


Okay, so I'll admit that the boss in chapter 2 was simple, but it took me some time to realize that. Similarly for chapter 1, except I couldn't figure how to end it on my own.

Epilogue's boss was not even necessary to fight. In fact, I found it pointless to kill him, so I let him go. It's not like he killed anyone important to Geralt.


Awesome game. I like how the plot gets even more interesting now, although I have doubts about whether Witcher 3 is going to fulfil my current expectations. 

And I wonder if my choices are going to affect it.






As for anyone who hasn't completed chapter 2, here's a tip: keep your Nekker Warrior blood, Bullvore brains, Endrega Queen pheromones, and either Rotfiend tongues or Harpy Eggs. Some of these items will turn out to be very useful but unobtainable later in the game.










The cheapest 10.2" tablet on Ebay costs US$170 or about S$210 excluding conversion fees.


I wonder if it's worth it. This is going to be my benchmark when I go to the PC Show.


Of course I'll also take into account the lack of warranty.








Reinstalled Windows 7. Not a totally smooth process but I survived. Looks like the ATI Catalyst needs to be updated badly.
























Be careful what you wish for.



 















This job is not easy. Then again, if it was easy I wouldn't be the one doing it.


















For some reason I was removed from the coalition in Die2Nite. Worse still, I forgot to back up the txt file containing the IRC info when I installed the new Windows just now. It's gone because I decided to format the drive before the install. Thought there was nothing of value that I didn't back up.


Oh well. From what I've seen, most of the people from the town who were also in the coalition are not in town except for a few. I can't see if they're in a coalition. The coalition's spreadsheet has not been updated. 

My guess is that they thought most people had left the game after waiting for so long for us campers to die or they had no way to tell them to come back, so they decided to just regroup with whoever was still active in the IRC channel.


I'll just join another then. My town ended up in the top 15 towns for this season so far, so my resume is pretty decent now.

No comments:

Post a Comment