Monday 9 May 2011

Rant 774 / Inaccessible Area

Made jelly. Used Arkon Coral Seaweed Jelly.

Using a 1.5L bottle, I filled it close to the brim and poured the water into a pot. Before it boiled I dropped a cube and stirred, but it was dissolving too slowly so I let it boil a while before stirring again. Took some time but eventually it dissolved.

At the same time I found that my mum didn't throw away the barley after making barley water, so I threw in a few spoonfuls of it just to make it less boring.

Initially wanted to make it in the pot but decided the pot was too valuable to be thrown away in case the jelly turned out to be extremely sticky. I didn't know it wasn't but it wasn't worth the risk.

Poured it into a large bowl and washed the pot immediately. It's not a non-stick pan, so it was ok to rinse it while hot. Already I could feel a thin layer of hardness on the entire surface.

Didn't want to let the hot agar solution attract ants by leaving it in the kitchen, so I brought it into my room to cool.

Took a few hours but eventually the bowl didn't feel warm anymore. A layer of jelly had also formed on top but when I lifted the bowl it still looked very watery. In fact the top jelly layer shifted at one point while I was taking it to the fridge, and some of the liquid got squeezed up on top of the jelly.

Covered the bowl with plastic wrap and left it in the fridge.

24 hours later, I was having jelly for dinner's dessert. Could only finish a third.

Anyway, I also found out that this jelly was good for the skin because it's all collagen. Whatever. I only wanted a cheap dessert.

But it was very lightly sweetened so I'll have to add my own sugar next time. And maybe some extra flavourings. This jelly was so light. That reminds me that I should add slightly less water next time to make it firmer.

Finally, one thing I need to note is that it collapsed when I took a few spoonfuls of jelly over to another bowl. So it shrinks, but it's not immediately visible because the top surface may be stuck to the bowl.














Microsoft is about to come up with a new console in the near future! It's unnamed and probably not going to be shown in the coming E3 but it's still exciting news.

Obviously Microsoft isn't going to comment anything because this can lead to a drop in 360 sales when potential buyers decide to hold on to their money and wait for the next console instead.









Had a huge backlog of movies that I only started to watch today. Started with Buried, a pretty damn good film with a very obviously low budget. Now my standards might have dropped a lot since I haven't watched a single film for a number of months, but I thought it was pretty intense.

I had guessed that was a 60/40 probability of whether he would die or live respectively. 60 for die because it would be incredibly lame to let him live, not for a film made in the 21st century.

But near the end, well, it made me doubt whether he would die.

The ending came as kind of a surprise.

Watched Red next. Quite humorous and exciting. Nothing much to say about it.











Also tried the new spicy McNuggets. It's extremely spicy, but not the kind that burns the mouth immediately. Takes some time, until after it's swallowed before the spiciness really kicks in.

Never trying it again.

Also re-tried McSpicy. A very filling and painful meal, mainly because I had to drink so much water.









Tried Cities in Motion. I don't know. The campaign feels pretty hard. The first map, that is. That's where I was before I deleted it.

Initially it was fun, but then it got a little puzzling.

It wasn't long before it became too puzzling for me and I decided it was not my cup of tea.

The problem was simple - the people keep piling up at the stops (both bus and tram stops, which were all I ever tried to use) and adding more buses did not help with the problem.

In fact, adding buses led to yet another problem without really solving the first - the buses were not cost-efficient anymore because some stops were pretty empty. Furthermore, having too many buses actually worsened the traffic, leading to traffic jams that ruined the effectiveness of the buses.

What can I do to increase the cost-efficiency? Add more stops. This means the buses won't be moving long distances without picking more passengers. I mean, this is what I thought the bus companies do in Singapore.

But nope, that was not the right move. This added even more waiting people all along the line, which made me add even more buses.

Eventually, I had a very long line of traffic jams and... the most painful thing to watch of all: buses breaking down in heavy traffic.

It's incredible how many buses can queue up behind a bus that has broken down, especially when I compare that number with how many buses I had in that particular line. The worst is when it's in one of those paths where 2 lines of buses overlap, causing an even longer queue.

So much revenue was lost every time that happens. It's not like buses don't cost money when they're stuck on the road.

Anyway I realized later that I could adjust the fares and wages, but I decided I had had enough pain for a night.










So I heard that the reason why there are so few Singapore servers for online games and why so few gamer communities here set up servers is because servers are apparently much more expensive here compared to those in the US or EU.

I wonder why.








One thing I am curious about is why TPL was placed in GCT's team. If there were any PAP teams that were guaranteed to win, I'd say LHL's and GCT's teams were among those.

It had been obvious from the start TPL was going to be a liability, so why did they place her in GCT's team? Why did they want her in the Parliament so badly they would let her have that slot instead of someone less notorious?

Marine Parade GRC had been uncontested since 1992. In that year, the PAP won 72.9 per cent of votes - compared to 56.7 per cent in this General Election.


Tin Pei Ling, of course, was a factor as well," Mr Goh said.  


"I mean, she was a factor. Nicole Seah was also a factor. (Ms Seah) communicated very well. She spoke quite persuasively to the younger people as well as some older people. 


Already, some 37,000 people have signed an online petition on Facebook to remove Ms Tin as an MP.

Notice he said nothing good about the present TPL, only about her in the future. In contrast, he explicitly praised NS's performance.


This implies he didn't actually want her in the team, or maybe in PAP at all, and that it was not his decision to pick her. I mean, seriously, plenty of people can grow to become good politicians after 5 years in the Parliament, not just TPL. His positive comments on TPL's future could have worked on anyone, including NS.


My interpretation of GCT's words: "I wish we had Nicole Seah instead of Tin Pei Ling."


So why did they put her in GCT's team?














Epic! Whatever happened to basic human decency?

No comments:

Post a Comment