Sunday 15 May 2011

Rant 777 / I Really Can't Be Arsed To Make The Seven Hundred And Seventy-seventh Rant Any Different From The Rest

Something is still wrong. I'm getting the same pauses but they're quicker, like half a second. It began when I closed Global Agenda, when it crashed for a while. No response from mouse nor Capslock. A long while. Maybe an entire minute.

But it recovered and went on as if nothing had happened. But there were intermittent shorter pauses every 5 seconds or so.

So I restarted the computer hoping it would magically get rid of the problem.

Nope. It continued to pause frequently but I ignored it ( I was eating). Then at one point the long pause came again, similar to the initial crash. Again I waited and it reverted back to normal. No pauses now.

But what is happening?











This is hilarious and yet sad. I'm 90% sure everyone in the Marine Parade had voted for PAP because of SM Goh. Now he says he's leaving the Cabinet. At least he's staying to manage Marine Parade, but still, that's kinda missing the point. When people vote for an experienced ex-Prime Minister with a record like his, they aren't just trying to get someone to manage their neighbourhood.

I mean, he's grossly overqualified for the job, seriously.









The pauses were back. One blue screen giving me this error "Kernel Data Inpage Error".

Which made me remember I might have missed an important step - formatting the brand new hard drive before use.

I don't know if it's actually important, hence I'm not sure about it.

So I spent an entire evening on a disk scan. Now I'm blogging about it. No pauses so far, but who knows what's going to happen later. If it happens again, I'll be spending the entire day tomorrow formatting and reinstalling everything.








So apparently, spouting vulgarities numbs pain. The catch is that you can't be the sort who curses like a sailor on a regular basis. In fact, it only works on people who usually avoid such colourful language.

Fuck.



So everyone reading this who doesn't usually use vulgar language should memorise the entire script used in this video, then recite it when in pain.

Youtube - your best source of free online painkillers.










Found this great horror game, Hotel 626.

Only suitable for healthy individuals with excessively huge balls and no heart condition.








So far so good in Die2Nite. We've hit day 12 in the current town and we've only lost 5 people, leaving 35 people alive to work on everything.

Water is a concern as expected but it turns out the main problem in the long term is really the zombie infestation outside.

Today was the first time I was unable to reach any clear non-depleted zones (usually rather far from town, like 6-7 steps away) because of the zombies.

Of course I can reach those tiles, but the path to those are so filled with undeads that I have to fill my inventory with weapons. What would be the point of scavenging if I have no space for new items?

Fortunately we have built the structure that allows us to refill water weapons for free, so I can go out for a zombie-killing spree instead.

Right now we have a total of 162 water rations. We have built everything that could give us more water, so this indicates how long we're going to last.

Of course it is possible to scavenge filled jerry cans outside, but with the current state of infestation outside, I don't believe we will be finding enough to affect the outcome significantly.

With 35 of us, this gives us a water consumption rate of 17.5 per day. We only drink on alternate days. In other words, we have 9 days to go before we begin to sleep thirsty.

It's day 12, so my estimate is that we will be dying on day 22 or 23, assuming nobody screws up their scavenging plans and come back thirsty on their non-drinking days.

Defence is the only the third priority because we are almost running out of things to build. The bigger projects we have not built are the False Town and the Big Rebuild, and at the moment they aren't needed urgently. We have 963 defence points which exceeds tonight's upper limit of 928 zombies and pretty close to tomorrow's upper limit of 1100 zombies.

This means instead of construction, we need more APs spent on scavenging and converting our 100+ logs and scrap metals (each) into planks, wrought iron and etc. We're still short on beams mainly.









So far so good. Been using the PC for over 5 hours and no pauses. Before the scan, it was pausing within an hour after booting. Looks like the disk scan worked.

Then again, it's not completely gone. I'm hearing pauses from the vidyavidya stream once in a while when I'm on another tab. Doesn't happen when I'm watching it though. Maybe it's just the player.

...

Maybe. Maybe not.

It did that pausing thing again when I closed the tab. In fact, it kept doing it for a while when I was watching a movie right after that, with 2 very long pauses that last roughly a min. I was counting after a while during the second one to know if I should just hit the reset button.

But nothing after that. Everything's smooth.

I'm not sure if it's still the HDD, but I'll be formatting the Black tomorrow and spend the entire day reinstalling and updating everything.

I kinda suspect it is a memory problem, but it may not be the hard disk. Again, it's just a suspicion. I'll know for sure by the day after tomorrow. IIRC there's a 7-day warranty thing which allows me to exchange this new HDD for a newer one. Not sure, but it doesn't matter since I'll be going back immediately if I can confirm the problems are from this HDD.

I don't feel that this is likely. Most probably, it's either the mobo or the RAM, unlikely as this is. I mean, seriously, this computer, other than the previous Caviar Black and the current one, are about half a year old only. What's the chance of a failure that's serious enough to require a replacement this soon?

As for the Caviar Black, I just realized it only lasted 3 years. That, I guess, is the lifespan under constant usage of 16-24 hours every day.









Anyway I was watching The Other Guys. I've generally disliked films starring Will Ferrell. Never really liked his kind of humour. Too stupid.

But this time, it's different. My favourite scene has to be the one in which he and his wife (Eva Mendez) got her mother to bring intimate messages back and forth to each other. I'm surprised she even allowed herself to bring the first message to him at all.

In this film, Will Ferrell's usual over-the-board stupidity was reduced, and I believe someone else influenced the script who wasn't involved in his previous films. The style is still his but something more was added. For example, his partner's vast knowledge acquired only because he wanted to use it to tease other people didn't feel like the usual style used in his other films I've seen.

Usually, his buddies would be as moronic as or even worse than him.

So I checked Wikipedia and guess what I found - Ferrell wasn't involved in this script. McKay's the one who co-wrote the scripts with him for films like Anchorman and Talledega Nights (examples of films that made me dislike his style), but this time, McKay did it with Chris Henchy instead.

No wonder!

I think it had always been Ferrell's idea to go for extreme idiocy, while McKay just wanted it to reach "very stupid". No idea about Henchy's style.

As for the film itself, it's hilarious. I think it's a great comedy, so it came as no surprise when I read that it toppled Inception from the number one spot at the box office.








Okay, the pauses are back again after I opened vidyavidya on Firefox after watching the movie. It was fine for most of the film after like the first 30mins (I don't know, just a guess), but it's back. It's definitely (currently) being caused by the Flash player then.

However, I cannot rule out the possibility that it's being caused by an outdated video card driver.

Whatever. I'm going to bed very soon. Going to format tomorrow and do everything after that.








I did want to make this rant different from the usual since it's TRIPLE SEVEN! But... I cba to do it. Still it's 777.

After seven hundred and seventy six rants, I'm still making frequent spelling, grammatical and factual mistakes everywhere.

C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment