Saturday 14 May 2011

Rant 776 / Too Much For Too Much



I can see the potential there but I wish they could change the sound it produces to something nicer that doesn't remind me of a cathode ray oscilloscope.









So when players hit level 18 in Global Agenda, that's where the standard MMO game ends. There are a lot of different PvP and PvE missions available and they're all in instances. Basically, this is a third-person shooter in which the game lobby is converted into Dome City.

This game has nothing to do with exploring new areas and is focused on PvP (because PvE gets boring after a while even with the mobs' random spawn spots.









Watched Skyline. Totally reminded me of Mass Effect.



The eyes and the shape of the heads were so similar to those of the Collectors. Can't blame me for having the initial impression that it was a ME ripoff.

As for the film itself, it's a great film with some not so great plot. Top tier special effects on a B-movie script.

The worst thing about the movie has to be the female protagonist, the pregnant girl. I think she was supposed to be scared to the point where she refused to leave the room, but she appeared to be more in denial than in fear.

It was obvious they couldn't stay there for long without water, so they had to have a better chance leaving than staying there.

Moreover, aren't there supposed to be more guns than people in the USA? Why is it that there was only one guy in the whole group with a gun? Instead of staying in the room that day, they could have searched the rest of the building quietly for weapons and supplies, right?

It couldn't have been that dangerous. Lots of people must have let their curtains down in the hotel, especially those who were planning to wake up late. They could even have found other survivors.

Heck, couldn't they have tried the sewers?

The ending was unique for a Western-style plot ("Western" as in "white people", not the Wild West sort), IMO. I'd expect such a last-minute miracle/deus ex machina to appear in Japanese animes, not Hollywood films. That was probably its saving grace, since it really lifts the mood and makes viewers happy. Doesn't exactly improve the plot, but by that point, I didn't really care.

If they make the second movie as planned, I'm pretty sure it will be the last of the series, unless this sequel beats the odds and turns out to be better than its prequel.



In short, got on my nerves a few times but overall an exciting film.










So it was my old hard disk that was giving me problems.

I know because it died this afternoon.

It started when Global Agenda started to pause (the sound too) for a few times while I was in a Medium Security Mission. Thought I'd google for an answer later.

After finishing the game, forgot to check for it. Decided to queue for a High Sec mission but it crashed.

There was a flash of blue screen then it restarted before I could see what the error was.

Thought it was another NTFS.sys Stop error.

It might have been. I don't know.

What followed was that no hard disk drive was detected when it restarted.

Shit. Mobo problem. If it was a HDD problem one of them should have been detected.

Hoping it was not, I restarted it a few times and googled on my laptop for answers. Majority pointed at HDD failure.

That was not good.

One advised changing the SATA configuration in the BIOS to IDE.

It appeared to work. It finally detected the HDDs.

Except while one was fine, the other was gibberish. Restarted several times, nothing worked. At one point, one of my HDDs was a "PATA" drive with a label containing "@" and the rectangle symbol that people get when the PC can't display the foreign language font.

What the heck is a PATA??

From this, I deduced it really meant that a HDD has died. But which one? Of course the Black would make sense.

Tested it first by unplugging it. Couldn't boot Windows but the drive was correctly labelled in the startup screen. Ended up stuck with the error "BOOTMGR is missing".

Unplugged my Blue and replugged the Black. Gibberish label and "I/O Device Error". Yep, Black died. My C drive. Well, at least the really important stuff are still there in my Blue while most documents have been backed up in the new external HDD.

So I spend over an hour going to Sim Lim to get another Black. Went to Bell where I bought this new PC but the 500GB was sold out. The closest available was the 1TB Black with 64MB Cache.

S$120 gone.

This is unnecessarily big though.

On the other hand, this means I won't have to delete games very often now.

Spoil myself.

Now I'm reinstalling everything. Just updating Windows alone took the rest of the day and most of tonight.

But I've lost all my bookmarks and torrents.

Thinking that these HDDs aren't going to die anytime soon, I had deleted the backups in the old My Book external HDD. The new one doesn't have it. I checked. I had my work stuff though. Luckily.

Means I have to rebuild my huge collection of bookmarks. Means someday I'll remember forgotten websites like I did back when I had my first Acer laptop replaced by the current one.

And the torrents. That's going to be a problem. I'm going to try to access my dead Black to see if anything inside can be copied over.











These few nights have been hot. Just now was even hotter because I was washing dishes while boiling soup and hot water on the stove next to me. Wanted to make jelly simultaneously.

In the end, my hands were soaking in sweat literally. I'm not kidding. When I took off the gloves and tilted them over, sweat poured out of them.

Hot.

On some mornings, it got so hot the trick I mentioned about setting the air conditioner to switch off 1-2 hours after I fall asleep doesn't work because it was so warm I woke up earlier than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment