Monday 6 October 2008

Rant 193 / Double Post!

My plan is to get a bike after exams, find a street directory and a list of food stalls recommended by lots of people online and cycle around Singapore to eat. If possible, I will do this everyday.

One reason is because there aren't many fantastic games out there now, and those that are out are beyond the capabilities of my humble laptop. It is unfortunate but inevitable that good games are now so hard to make that every project is a large investment of time and money. New and small groups of developers have a much more difficult time to enter the market because of their fundings.

It used to be that games used sprites and this allows everything to be made more easily. Maps were 2D and pre-made by looking from the top. It was so easy to make those games and make them sell.

Now, if the graphics aren't made with state-of-the-art computers and programs, there is little chance of the games being good. Plus, even if they have the best graphics ever seen, it may still fail. Just look at Hellgate: London. Great graphics, great idea, but the developers failed at the execution.

So now games are rare, good games rarer. Only MMORPGs are still flourishing because of the sheer numbers of people who fail at life and need redemption, albeit a virtual one.

So I have no good games to play and I don't have much hope in this aspect of my life anywhere in the near future.

Probably will just spend about 300 on a decent one, just in case I lose interest.

Also, this will depend on whether I have to go for RT then. At the moment, I cannot because my knee is still injured. The meniscal tear is still in effect. Running is possible, but only for short distances and it will give me a throbbing pain immediately afterwards that will make me unable to rest on that leg.

One good thing about this injury is that it taught me to be more patient and to walk slower. This is because I cannot skip steps when I walk up or down any flight of stairs. Skipping steps require me to jump slightly on one leg, thus requiring, for a short moment, to stand on a locked knee.

Try skipping steps next time you walk up a flight of stairs, and observe your knee that you are standing on. Most likely, it will be locked as the other leg lifts up to reach the next step. This is what I cannot do, standing on the locked knee.

Took me more than a month to totally kick this habit because I ALWAYS skip steps before this. Always. It was hard and took me quite a number of painful incidents.

Also, I still cannot walk on locked knees when I'm very tired or taking large steps. The next time you run till you are out of breath, observe how you walk. You will notice that you don't bend your knees so much with each step. In fact, you may even lock your knees as you walk. Something I cannot do yet but used to do very often.

And I also got scolded by my doctor for not going for physiotherapy. I've been skipping it for 2 months, so I've not recovered much. He made it clear that if I do not recover soon, we may have to consider surgery, one that is similar to my shoulder's. Not a pleasant thought at all. Not at all.

The surgery on my left shoulder, though short, was a nightmare for me. Until now, I still cannot rest my arm above my head as I lie down on my bed. And it's still very weak. =(

Cycling is good for my knee though. My therapist recommended it. So.. yay?

Haha, I still cannot go for RT till, at least, my next appointment with my doctor, which will be on the first week of Dec. Time enough for my exams.








Scrubs! Been watching Scrubs for some time now. At the moment, I am at Season 3 episode 5. Slow. Also trying to get Prison Break. If only there is another completed season of House, I wouldn't be watching these at all.

1 comment:

  1. Upz..Count me in abt cycling ard 2 find good food if u dun mind.I've quite abit of knowledge abt food at least ard d west.
    I do cycle ard every week..to and fro church at least..
    I duno Y ur doc says cycling is gd 4 d knees.My knees hurt whenever I cycled..maybe it's cos of how I cycle..cheong-ing everywhere..Haha..
    And ya..do take care & go 4 ur physio man..even though my recruits used 2 tell me it's useless but they jus haf 2 go 2 pon training.Haha..
    -hongxin

    ReplyDelete