Saturday 29 March 2008

Rant 115 / Death Is Necessary For Life

All those classic books that we sometimes come across as textbooks for English or Literature-type courses were once just popular or critically acclaimed books of some long gone era. If so, will people in the year 2100 study X-Men comics as serious literature?





Damn the Starhub guys for making us users share IPs! I couldn't log into my Urban Dead account today! Because they limit non-paying players to 160 moves per IP, I can't get in to do anything. But I checked the wiki's FAQ and found that they reset the counter at 9am. That's another 5 hours from now.

Anyway according to the wiki's 29th March update for Dulston, the suburb I'm in, the mall is still holding. Apparently the zombies are now concentrating their efforts on just one corner. At the last count there were 167 zombies standing on that tile (or square). I hope the survivors won't just concentrate their efforts on only that corner.

No news about the building next to it that provides Revivification Syringes. It'd better be up and barricaded still, because the syringes are the only way to get rid of zombies and save out fallen comrades. You see, dead zombies don't die; they merely spend 10APs to stand up again. But revived zombies that do not want to be revived (this practice is known as combat revive) needs to be killed before becoming a zombie again. This takes more time than making them waste 10APs. However one can argue that they can easily get themselves killed, especially in sieges, where there are many zombies around.







Played Kane's Wrath since yesterday and finished the campaign just now. Now they have 3 different styles per race, almost like Generals. But this time the names are not as direct (like Tank General, etc), and sounds better (like ZOCOM).

The campaign on Normal mode is easy, especially for my style of anti-AI turtler. This will never work on a human, but against AI, I spend ALL my resources on static defenses in the early part of the game. NOD defense may be weaker than GDI's, but the turrets can spawn faster than a couple of well-fed rabbits. I just spam mainly laser turrets around my base, pack them so close they form a solid wall, and tech up. As soon as I get a solid wall, I spam Beam Tanks, using them on the Obelisks I place behind the wall of turrets. I was quite amazed by the Obelisks' power and range when there are 7 Beam Tanks focusing on each of them.

After a while, their tanks won't even touch me because the range of the Obelisks are about twice that of the turrets. So there won't be a need for repair. Once I've done that, I should have a Nuke ready by around that time. Meanwhile, I spam walkers with every factory I've got.

That is a definite win once I have that solid wall and Obelisks. Of course, I keep my base as small as possible to reduce the amount of space my wall has to cover. This strategy is brainless, and totally relies on the opponent not using Nukes/Ion Cannons/Rift/mass armies.


The units are nice too, just what you expect from C&C these days. The superheavy walker that is limited to 1 per player is very strong but not unvulnerable. My solid wall can kill a solo GDI one with severe damage, or only some losses if I hit it with 4 of my bombers first.

I find that the GDI's superheavy walker is the most useful of the 3. It can garrison four(I think) infantries, and its special ability is that it turns the Tiberium it walks on into instant cash. You can just make it walk around the Tib fields when it's in base.

Of course, the Scrin's version is cool too. It can turn tank wreckages into instant cash. But the best thing about it is that if the player includes the Mastermind (Scrin Commando Mind Controller) as one of the 3 garrisoned infantries, it gains the ability to Blink. A Blinking Superheavy walker! Holy Shit!

Last but not least, the Nod's Redeemer is the one I've been using all the while in the Campaign. It can hold 2 infantries, and its special ability is to make enemy troops attack each other. That may sound fantastic, until you realize that the area this affects isn't large enough.

Best of all for these walkers, Engineers can be garrisoned within, to give the ability to restore health gradually. Better than walking all the way back to the nearest factory after a battle. However I imagine this may be completely useless in a 1v1 match against a human. In fact, it is most unlikely to appear in a 1v1 match.

The campaign was not as well-designed as it could have been. On several maps, the player uses a different general of NOD, not the original, while not informing him/her of that. This got a little confusing for me when I realized that I couldn't use bombers in one of them. Later I read that the Black Hand has no air units.

And the final cliffhanger is quite interesting. Makes me wonder if they will make another expansion for each of the other 2 races. Kane's Wrath has only a NOD campaign. The next is probably for the Scrin, if it is even going to be made.

The Global Conquest adds a new twist to the old way of RTS gaming. It starts out with a Risk-like map, but when an unit fights an enemy, you can either auto-resolve or play a 1v1 match with the enemy.

Your units have to be bought, and come in "packages" consisting of several units. You can use the pre-made packages or make your own. And it seems that the Construction Yard is not necessary in them. You can make one that has only combat units and rush the shit out of the opponent. Of course, the bigger the units, the more expensive the package becomes.

You start with a sum of money and you earn more during the conquest. Therefore it is not useful to make a package of only Tripods and Carriers. This will really roll over most armies, but you won't have enough to protect all fronts.





My new curtains are so heavy they block the wind too. So its either a gradually warming but dark room, or I will have a comfortably cool but bright one. I take the former, but leave my door open when I take my meals. Aircon is not an option everyday. In order to shift to this room, I had to prove false the reason that I will use too much electricity by switching on the aircon all the time, which I did every night before the shift. These days, I make do with my fan at max power blowing right at me.






2-5am is the best time of the day to do everything that should be done in a quiet environment, eg reading, watching movies and falling asleep. Of course, if it wasn't illegal, I'd also include karaoke singing at home, especially for the more sadistic people. Imagine the din you'll make with your appalling singing-with-speaking-voice in the perfect tranquility of the deep night. You'll probably find your car smashed and door splashed with red paint the next time you go out.

By 6am, the birds will wake and the noise will begin. That will be the best time to be already asleep.




It is so sad to hear that another real Western cuisine stall is closing in the neighbourhood. This time, they stayed for only 1 month again. Good thing I ate their stuff many times during the month. Their prices are really decent for the food that they serve, but at 9-12 bucks per set meal, it is definitely too expensive for this place. But if I compare their beef steak meal with one of the old style Western stall, the new stall definitely is better.

Though their price may me a dollar or two higher, they include 4 large egg,ham,bacon and veggie sandwiches together with mash potato and etc. The old stalls only has a slightly fried bun, fries, coleslaw and beans. Bleh. And the new stalls actually use wine and herbs in their cooking!

In fact, I think it is quite cheap for the effort they put into the food. The old stalls serve shitty Western food, but the locals are used to the style of food.

I guess this must be the same with Chinese food in Europe or the Americas. Wonder if Chinese food is popular in Africa.





Another giant piece of ice has broken off the Antarctica. Whoever still thinks global warming is a myth should shoot themselves in the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment