Wednesday 5 March 2008

Rant 099 / Magic Moments

I have found yet another bot for the www.freerice.com charity website. In case you didn't know, this website features a word game that allows you to donate 20 grains of rice for each correct answer. Basically, it helps you improve your English vocabulary while you help it donate rice to the poor.

This is how the game works: they give you a word, and you click on the correct definition. If you are right, they donate 20 grains of rice to the poor. If not, you learn a new word.

And this is how the donation system works: they have several companies placing their ads on the website. These companies, while earning revenue from people who are attracted by the ads, also pays for the rice. In short, they are the donators, and you are the one telling them how much to donate.

As you may know, a big sack of rice, at 10kg, contains millions of grains of rice. According to this website's count, they donate about a hundred millions of grains per day. That's like a hundred of bags of rice a day!

I have tried playing this game on my own at first, and managed to donate a thousand grains before getting totally sick of it. So I checked wikipedia on it, and found that there are bots for playing this game.

So now I have a Java-based bot playing this game for me, which makes a correct answer (99% of the time) every 2 seconds. That is an average rate of 10grains/s. I have set the limit to 1m grains, and at this moment I have 5 of them opened. 10 grains/s, for 1m, is going to take a hundred thousand seconds. That is 27.8 hours. According to the calculator, this means I will donate four million, three hundred and twenty thousand grains by in 24 hours.

----------------------------------------

9 HOURS LATER

----------------------------------------

Ok, the 5 bots with 10k grain limit that I didn't mention are closed. The other 5 1m-limit bots are still running. All of them have donated over 20k grains each. So far, that adds up to over 150k grains. I feel my conscience is clearing.


LOL













I suddenly want to read '1984' by George Orwell. Go wiki for this for more details. I should go order it on acmabooks.com, but I need to go back home to ask my mum for her credit card. And they're offering 23% discounts for purchases exceeding $50! That's 5% more than usual.









The NTU-NIE Speech Contest was interesting, even though I didn't listen to any speeches. My job was to guard the doors to make sure no one enters while any speech is in progress. But I get to see how things are set up, how they organizes the whole event and what protocols are needed for Toastmasters competition.

In this competition, the participants are not from any Toastmasters club, yet I heard that the speeches were impressive. This shows that Toastmasters are not the best speakers out there, but the people most willing to learn the techniques required to be the best. It is true that some people are just natural speakers.








Somehow I haven't found any motivation to want to find edc's scandal pics, but somehow the news have found their way into the forums I sometimes visit. According to one, there are over 400 pictures out there. If so, I think he had to send his Mac for repair back then because his hard disk was damaged by the pure hotness of the photos.









6th March. Today is the first time I've ever met a DTM!! A Distinguished Toastmaster, a Toastmaster who has completed all training manuals and has attained the highest rank in the club. According to the introduction given by the Toastmaster of the Evening (aka MC), he has also completed the advanced manuals more than once. Man...










After watching another needlessly violent Flash on newgrounds.com, I fell in love with yet another classic - Magic Moments by Perry Como. That guy used this song for his ending credits. It's magical indeed. Sometimes, you just never know what you can find in the trash.








Still using the bots to donate rice. Gonna open them every time I leave my laptop on overnight.






I don't pity Edison Chen, no matter if he was really beaten up by some kids, or if he attempted suicide. It is not that he deserves it, but that in life shit happens. I mean, if you're going to do something wrong, at least cover it up properly. Leaving it in your computer when you send it for repair with no means of security but the bullshit that comes with every OS is just asking for it. Hmm... I believe I should not say anymore. Whatever I said or will say has probably been said by someone far more qualified than I am.








I still want to read 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment