Wednesday 19 March 2008

Rant 108 / Reading Tanequil Again

The night before, I couldn't sleep well. Before I woke up at 6am, I woke up somewhere in the middle of the night.

I had a dream, though I cannot remember what it was about. In it I somehow had the idea that it was important to wake myself up immediately. I did not question it. Perhaps I could remember the dream still at that point.

I tried to wake up by thinking about it, but couldn't reach the point where I could open my eyes. I was semi-conscious, knowing I was asleep and not dreaming. I tried to open my eyes, but couldn't. Fear crept in, but previous experiences in this allowed me to stay calm.

My body did not respond, so I attempted to think of something that would get my heart pumping. Any thoughts that would make me worry or excited was fine. But no, it did not work. Then came the idea of pushing my head with my hand. It took some time and a lot of mental force but in the end, I could move my right arm.

With my right hand, I pushed my face to the left.

I was awake... only to wonder why that was necessary.












Everyone around me wants to change the world. Everyone around me thinks that they can change the world. Perhaps by changing them, I can change the world.

What is the world to me, but a place to live in?

I do not ask for much, just a comfortable corner to rest in. Why does the world make it so difficult for me to find it?

It is not the fault of the world. There is no fault. There is no problem.

I will find it, but will it be what I think it will be?







Finished the Infernal Affairs Trilogy. Can't help but say that the first was the best. The second was very good, but not impressive. The last was pretty good, but the frequent switching between the past and the present of the two guys makes the film rather confusing at certain points. Plus I couldn't understand the end, where he was in the wheelchair and she shoots him from behind. What was the significance of that?







Played a little more of Loki. Rather hard for a Diablo ripoff. My laptop was only barely able to support it during combat when all video settings were set at low. At low settings, my nearly naked heroine looks like a marble statue that moves. The skin texture was all smooth and glossy. The gaming days of this com is approaching its end. Someday I may need to upgrade it. But before that, I better delete all those stuff... in the Recycle Bin. :P






Recently in the Urban Dead (www.urbandead.com) there has been a major coordinated attack by hundreds of zombies throughout the map. It all began when I was playing the nice medic in the suburb of Yagaton. A series of radio broadcasts informed us that zombies were everywhere and some suburbs were down. Nothing unusual; some survivors would go in, revive the dead and rebuild the area.

Then one day, Yagaton radio frequencies were filled with reports of zombie attacks on various hospitals and other resource buildings. I was hiding comfortably in the largest resource building in Yagaton - the Mall, and I was doing what I could to revive the zombies against their will while they attack out barricades.

The next day, I was a zombie.

I was shocked. There were over 80 people in each of the four sections of the mall, who would log in at various times to check on the barricades. And we were wiped out. The next thing I could do was either play as a zombie or find a Revive Point.

My skills as a medic would be of no use as a zombie, so I went to find a safe suburb. I clicked on the Urban Dead wiki, and looked at the map of the city. Thus came my second shock. Lo and behold! The whole northern region of the city was RED! Red here means zombie-infested region, and Yagaton was probably the last suburb in the north of the city to fall.

So I went south as a zombie. Zombie takes twice as much time to move as a survivor, but I had no choice. All the green suburbs were south.

At last, I was in Buttonville, a green suburb at the southern border of the map, with more green suburbs buffering it from the red at every direction. I was safe. The revive was quick once I reached the southernmost Revive Point, and I ran for the only Mall there.

3 days later, I was killed by zombies again.

The plague of coordinated zombie attacks had spread throughout the southwest of the city, and only a small cluster of suburbs in the southeast were still green. Meanwhile, the northwest corner was turning grey, signifying the near-complete silence when all zombies and survivors left the area. Perhaps there were no survivors left, and the zombies had left the region for the more active zones.

As a zombie a second time, I moved towards the east. After surviving the human headhunters and mad zombies, I finally reached the still green haven of Penny Heights. That was when the northeastern corner of the city was turning green again as the zombie hordes concentrated on the South.

Again I was quickly revived and behind the barricades of the easternmost Mall. This time, the Mall was different. Most malls occupied four to six squares on the map, but this mall took up only 2 squares. This means a smaller area to protect and fewer barricades to watch. With over 90 people cowering in each square of the mall, rumours of the invincibility of the mall were being spread over the various radio frequencies.

But things didn't look good. After just 2 days, it was a sea of red against the dark orange of Penny Heights. I stayed for one more day, logging in every four hours to check on things. Nothing happened where I was hiding, but news from the other mall in Penny Heights were disturbing.

Over 50 zombies were attacking the mall, the hospitals were down and there was no safe route to the nearest NecroTech office, the only buildings that provides Revification Syringes. I took one more look at the map the next day, and found the whole southern half of the map was pure red. All hope was lost. How could we, a mere 200 people, fight against over the unending waves of zombies? The 50 zombies were merely the vanguards, and with the survivors falling to join their ranks, who were we to say that we could stand against them?

S0 I went north. I ran till I was close to exhaustion and turned to finding a safe building to hide in before I collapse. But every single building I went to were Extremely Heavily Barricaded, which was the heaviest barricade status in the game but, unfortunately, survivor-proof. So desperately I searched, though my general direction was still north. In the end, I had to rest out in the open and I knew I was as good as a zombie then.

The next day, I logged in as a zombie. Even as a zombie, I was able to listen to the radios I carried, and the reports were not good. The mall I used to be in, was still good, but the other had fallen, with over 70 zombies rampaging in the southeastern corner of the building. It was over for the last 20 survivors still inside.

Once again, as a zombie, I searched for a new haven where my skills were needed. The northwestern corner's grey patch was growing as zombies and survivors alike abandon the dead suburbs. On the other hand, the northeastern green patch was gradually growing. What was once one green suburb had grown into a cluster of 8. North I went.

At last I reached Dunningwood, a green zone on the map's eastern edge buffered by a green suburb to the south and another to the west. So here I am, waiting for a revive in their northernmost Revive Point together with 4 other zombies. As of the last radio broadcast from Penny Heights, the southern half of the last mall there was breached, with a horde of 50 zombies doing what they could to wipe out the survivors. One zombie was in the northern half, facing 117 survivors who were probably going to be zombie feed soon.

And during all those times I spent away from my home suburb of Yagaton, what was happening there? According to the wiki, almost a week after I died, the survivors had coordinated an massive attack together with the last survivors from other nearby suburbs on the only mall in Yagaton, and had succeeded in retaking parts of the mall from the zombie hordes.

Within two days, the zombies were back again and heavy fighting ensued within the mall.

Another 2 days were gone before they finally managed to retake the whole mall, barricade it, power it and establish a new Revive Point.

Since 13th March, they have repeatedly lost and retook the mall. The situation is in an extremely precarious state and they have turned to setting up several Revive Points away from the mall to raise their dead. As of this moment, Yagaton is deep orange.

Will the whole city of Malton succumb to this massive zombie attack?

No comments:

Post a Comment