Friday 28 March 2008

Rant 113 / Time Waits For No Man

Inspired by a true story



We were discussing about which part of a lady's body we usually look at first.


T: You know where I look at? I look at the top of their feet. The bottom of the feet is the sole, and I look at the top, you know, the part the connects to the shin.


Me: For what? You checking whether that part is hairy?? Coz if it's hairy......... Oh, I get what you mean... You're into hairy women! The thing is, I've heard of women with facial hair and even chest hair, but that is... overkill, man!

T: No! I look at it to see whether there is a lot of veins! No matter how a girl dresses up, no matter how much makeup she puts on, that is the one part she cannot hide unless she wears shoes.









Something strange is going on with my internet connection. Two nights ago when I left my laptop on with 20 freerice bots running, 19 of them crashed by the time I checked when I woke up, and the last one was not running properly. The next afternoon, before I took a short nap, I left it with 25 bots and half of them crashed while the other half were having errors. I think I shall have to limit myself to 15 bots.

Recently I found this blog of one guy who had written another freerice bot with Ruby, which I assume to be a programming language. This bot totally owns all other bots, because it runs 50 browsers of freerice.com simultaneously. On one update, it was donating at a rate of 600k grains/hour. That is a staggering 15kg/hr! Pwns the Java bot I'm using and the Python one I was using before.

Unfortunately, I will need to go find out what exactly is this Ruby and this "gem install mechanize --include-dependencies" and download them.

Furthermore, he also discussed the similarities between this and a DDOS attack, the hacker's equivalent of knocking out someone. What I mean is that if many people were to run this bot, say a thousand, this will be the same as 50k people playing the game at a speed of a question every 2 seconds simultaneously. If even more, like tens or hundreds of thousands of people run this, it may crash the server and render it temporarily disabled, which is basically a DDOS attack.

What he uses to defend the use of this bot is that there can't be many people running the bot at the same time. And if the server cannot handle that kind of internet traffic, then how can they expect to reach the popularity they are hoping for?

As for the part in the freerice.com FAQ discouraging people from using bots, he argues that they probably won't mind because it inflates the numbers they can use for publicity.

So I will probably find out more about this Ruby and get the bot soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment