Saturday 20 August 2011

Rant 834 / Bipolar Market

ROFL! Abercrombie & Fitch is going to pay one of the guys in the MTV reality show Jersey Shore to NOT wear its products.

We are deeply concerned that Mr. Sorrentino's association with our brand could cause significant damage to our image.

This is so frickin hilarious.

How bad do you have to be to get paid to stop being associated with a brand?

And to make things even more embarassing for him, Abercrombie & Fitch isn't exactly known for its clean image.

Abercrombie & Fitch is also no stranger to controversy. The all-American retailer has come under fire in the past for a range of topics ranging from negative stereotyping to sexually explicit material and employment practices.

It's kinda like a soul so evil even Satan wants it out of Hell.













Been trying out Fable 3. I know, old game, but I just never got around to trying it.

Now that I have, I can't say I'm impressed.

Granted, it's got a nice system, bug-free so far and good good graphics for its age, but if there's anything I should complain about, it's the camera.

I am annoyed by how the camera persistently resists my controls. I don't want to face wherever my character is facing! I want to scan my surroundings often without having to turn my guy around.

Other than that, pretty nice game.














The economy is scary.

I expected a straight freefall days ago. I was wrong.

When I saw the headlines on Reuters last night (morning in the US), I thought I'd see the fall today. I was wrong again.

It's strange. It just keeps falling and rising.












My mailbox was particularly full on Tuesday and it was not due to the usual junk mail.

My cards and several of the samples I registered for on Facebook came on the same day!



From the 2 pink bottles, clockwise:

- Sunsilk Silky Smooth & Manageable Nourishing Conditioner (Co-Creations, Yuko Yamashita) and Shampoo 30ml each

- Presidential Elections 2011 polling card, reverse side shown

- 250 name cards from VistaPrint that arrived 2 weeks early, name card's reverse side shown, plus a shiny new metal card holder that I'm not using after I realized that the shiny polished surface is easily blurred by my fingerprints (currently using the one I got as a gift from Lingnan University's Toastmasters Club).

- Mentholatum Acnes Sealing Jell (tube) and Mentholatum Acnes Medicated Creamy Wash (packet)

- Hado Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid (SHA) hydrating face lotion, ie moisturizer with a bloody fancy name

- Bio-essence Bird's Nest Nutri-Collagen & Whitening Advancer

I'm sorry for everyone who's been circumsized. You'll never have a minty-smelling, acne-free, baby-smooth, wrinkle-free foreskin like I'm going to have.

And screw everyone who protests my use of skincare products on my nether region.

Oh right, and not to mention my silky smooth and manageable ass hair.

According to the printed description, the shampoo and conditioner will give "optimal coverage of hair fibre, to align every inch of  hair strand, for smooth and manageable (ass) hair".

Awesome!










I'm concerned with my lack of taste. Not only in my sense of humour but also in my work. Honestly speaking it is likely that I will not being doing winter wear for long when I take over.

I don't know if this is something that can be learnt. It just takes more than an ability to spot patterns in everything.

The main reason I blogged before about a design that was going to be used was because it was like one in a million. Every single design that I thought was at least decent has been rejected so far, except for that particular jacket and one other.

Therefore if I rely on my own eyes, I'm quite possibly going to be screwed.

I could hire someone to do this for me. Money can buy anything, even taste. The problem is that I know nobody with such an ability whom I can trust. After all, it is entirely possible whoever I hire will just set up his/her own business after a while.











The election is coming. Our next President will be chosen on the 27th this month.

I don't actually care who I'm voting for because there is nothing to indicate that he does anymore beyond what we can see, which is nothing.

But I will be voting.

I know it is illegal to say who I'm voting for, but I'll leave a little hint here: I'm voting for Mr Tan.

I know this joke's old and stale and has been retold all over Singapore several million times, but I don't care.













Y'know, I've never really understood why airships never got popular.

Maybe it's too slow, or maybe people are scared that if something punctures the balloons, there won't be anything they can do about it.

Most likely, high inertia. It would probably take forever to accelerate and decelerate.

Logically speaking, they have to be so much cheaper to run, mainly because they don't need high speeds to create lift.

All each ship needs to move is a couple of fans aka propellors. If the airport is full, the airship can just stay still in the air and not waste fuel just to keep it in the sky. Furthermore, it makes life easier for the air traffic controllers.

Even in the above video, it's mentioned that the new ships can just stay up there (2000ft) for as long as 3 weeks.

You could practically have a floating hotel.

Hmm... a flying hotel sounds like a really luxurious idea.

I wonder why nobody is doing it.

Maybe you can't enjoy outdoor activities at those altitudes. Low air pressure and strong UV radiation.

Yea, I guess it would be kinda boring.












So the Aircool people came over to clean our air conditioners. For $45 ($15 per unit), they cleaned all of them plus the part that is located outside the window (condenser?) and sucked out the water from the pipes with a heavy duty vacuum cleaner similar to the one we have.

But there was a problem.

Because we haven't had the units serviced for about 1.5-2 years, two of our units were in extremely bad conditions and the 3rd was almost as bad. So the technician convinced us to have a "complete overhaul" (that's what was written on the receipt anyway) for a slightly discounted price of $150 per unit (U.P. $180) and we agreed to an overhaul for the two units.

This "complete overhaul" meant they removed the entire unit and cleaned it in our bathroom plus chemical servicing and etc.

End result?

I didn't know my A/C was this strong. It's been so long, I don't even remember how powerful it was supposed to be.

On the whole, we only had a $15 discount for the two units assuming they were honest. The complete overhaul definitely includes everything that was supposed to be included in the "normal maintenance" that the vouchers were for. In total, we paid $165 for the servicing for each of the two units.

So it wasn't worth it.

Even the first result I get on Google offered a similar service called "Chemical Overhaul" for $150 U.P. and another result offered $130 for the same if I have it for 2 units.

Oh well, I didn't know, but now I do.











So US$360M of the Americans' tax money actually went to the very people they were fighting in the Middle East.

Compared to the thirty-one billion USD "in active contracts" that the US government has signed with various contractors for all kinds of work there, that's nothing.

Except, logically speaking, guns are cheap.

Think about it. Most of the parts in a rifle are large. They don't need complex machines or special environments to create the way electronics do.

Furthermore, militants in the Middle East can very easily buy their weapons from Eastern Europe.

Therefore, US$360M can translate into quite a lot of weapons over there.

Ergo, the US is funding the war in a way that it's not supposed to be doing.

Now, was it deliberate?










Kudos to the Scotland Yard for their impressive work in catching the people involved in the recent riots. Over a thousand have been charged among the 1733 arrests made so far.

It's been what, about a week or two now? According to Wikipedia, the last day of the riots was the 11th and today is the 19th.

That's eight days so far, so they're averaging over 200 arrests per day with 500 officers working on this.

The coffee industry in the UK must be making a fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment