Wednesday 17 August 2011

Rant 833 / Magazine Plant Pot

A girl called her mum while she was being eaten alive by a bear and its three cubs.

Olga Moskalyova, 19, gave an horrific hour-long running commentary on her own death in three separate calls as the wild animals killed her.


Her mother Tatiana said that at first thought she was joking. “But then I heard the real horror and pain in Olga’s voice, and the sounds of a bear growling and chewing.”

She died for an hour and her mum had to listen to her slow, painful death on the phone.

I don't know how much time it would take to turn this particular tragedy into comedy.

“Mum, it’s not hurting anymore. I don’t feel the pain. Forgive me for everything, I love you so much.”















Real Madrid vs 109 kids. The 12 guys won.












Didn't I have like 3 followers for this blog like earlier this year?

I'm surprised that it has 6 now. The things in this blog aren't even always completely accurate, which I only realize some time after I publish them, and I usually don't bother to change them.
















This is interesting. Perhaps I can do something like that with my old National Geographic magazines. I have about 2 years' worth of those that I never got around to removing.

Just got to cut a hole and put in a layer of waterproof material and I'll get a nice pot like that.

Maybe I'll use the old plastic files I used to use.











How is the jerky motion of a bird's head efficient?

It moves rapidly and stops suddenly.

The inertia would be pretty strong in both cases, right?

Anybody who has tried shaking his/head vigorously would understand what I mean.

Two things.

First, the inertia of the head. How does it accelerate and decelerate so quickly? Is the mass that low compared to the strength of the neck muscles?

Second, why don't their brains hurt when they move their heads at those speeds? If it did hurt they wouldn't be doing it, right?

It's the same with other animals like squirrels and many reptiles.

And it has to be quite different from how our eyelids work simply because our eyelids are practically just pieces of skin.

This rapid movement can't be an efficient use of energy (mainly because they have to spend energy to decelerate IMO), which only means it's evolved to sacrifice efficiency for power, which in this case probably is a necessary trait in preys. Being able to move the head that quick has to be great for scanning their surroundings.

So how are they not getting headaches from the almost instantaneous turning?










Recently bought the Indie Bundle #3 which came together with #2 because I paid slightly over the average, which was about US$4.35 at that time if I remember it correctly.

Never got around to mentioning it because the games inside were, honestly, not particularly memorable.

Got an extra copy of Atom Zombie Smasher but it didn't allow me to gift specific games within the bundles.

From those 2 bundles I got Cogs, VVVVV, And Yet It Moves, Braid, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Hammerfight, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans, Steel Storm: Burning Retribution... and Atom Zombie Smasher.

So for about S$5 I got 10 games. Pretty good deal I'd say.

But... most of them aren't very interesting. A lot of them are puzzle games and I'm really not that into games that require lots of thinking.

My mommy says I am speshul.

On a more serious note, the best game among the eleven is still the one that I already have - Atom Zombie Smasher.

Anyway I haven't tried And Yet It Moves, Revenge of the Titans and Braid yet.

Let me go through the games I have tried one by one.

Cogs is a game in which you move blocks around till your system (could be gears or pipes) is set properly.

VVVVV is kinda like Super Meat Boy, except pixelated and 8-bit.

Crayon Phyics Deluxe is a puzzle game in which you solve puzzles by objects you create simply by drawing them. The moment you let go of the mouse, whatever you have drawn becomes an object, be it a curve line, a square block or a ball.

Hammerfight is an annoying game I dislike in which you control some kind of aircraft to duel AIs controlling similar machines. These aircrafts have only one weapon - a giant chain from which a large piece of rock (or metal) hangs. You attack by swinging the aircraft with your mouse to smash the rock into the enemy. It's like like a flail, except there's no handle.

I dislike it because it took me very long to realize the mouse sensitivity the game gave me in the beginning was crap. I should have used the maximum level instead.

Machinarium is a point-and-click puzzle game similar to the Monkey Island series except it's gloomy and has little conversation.

Osmos is simple. You control a blob that grows in proportion to the smaller blobs you absorb when you touch them. You then avoid blobs bigger than you lest you get absorbed by them, until you grow bigger than them. You accelerate by ejecting your mass in the opposite direction so you need to balance between speed and loss of mass. To add to the difficulty, there are special blobs like one that is repelled by other blobs like a magnet.

Steel Storm is a top-down shooter in which you control some kind of hovercraft to fight other hovercrafts in your quest to save the world or something.

And let's not forget Atom Zombie Smasher. You smash zombies with various weapons, including atomic ones, while evacuating civilians. One thing I like about the game that seems to be added for flavour is the hilarious comics.

All of these would make great games on portable consoles or mobile phone though IMO. I wouldn't mind playing these when I'm bored as hell on the train or bus, but on my desktop, I just have so many better options to choose from.











Gold prices are just rising and rising. It's at the same time both amazing and frightening.











I'm actually finding myself seriously considering adding AdSense into this blog. In addition, if I do add it for the income, I'll also implement all the other widgets associated with other social media.


For:

- At this age, I should probably try to create sources of income in any way I can, and this is practically free money.



Against:

- I feel that seeing ads in a blog makes it less personal and probably less sincere.

- I blog on all kinds of topic, which makes it hard for me to make the ads more relevant for visitors.

- I may get much busier in the future, which will make me blog less, which in turn will definitely reduce the number of people visiting this blog, which will render this pointless.

- I prefer to keep this low profile because I don't want to get reminded by some random new visitor of my mistakes I made like 3 years ago in some rant. Furthermore, getting noticed may somehow remove my anonymity, which allows me to speak freely without fear of consequences.

- This may start an urge in me to maintain the number of visitors, creating pressure. Blogging is not and must never feel like a form of work to me. I stop blogging for a while whenever the latter happens.



The number of reasons don't matter. The strengths do.

I am unable to decide.

I should probably give it a few days.












Notch, the creator of Minecraft, challenges Bethesda to a duel to settle a copyright issue. The matter at hand is that he is developing a new game called "Scrolls" which Bethesda considers an infringement of their trademark of "The Elder Scrolls".

Therefore,


I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, your select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.


If we win, you drop the lawsuit.


If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.


LOL! On the other hand, I don't think their lawyers are going to agree to this, not if they believe a lot of money is at stake here.

I am serious, by the way.

Odd way to do it. Might generate a lot of publicity for both parties though. Maybe Bethesda will take this into consideration.











A girl got raped twice and her school forced her to apologize to her rapist. Now she's finally suing them. Yea, after the second rape. Wow.

Surprisingly, this didn't happen in the Middle East but in the US.

According to the lawsuit, school officials did not even bother to look at the girl’s file, which explains that she is “conflict adverse, behaviorally passive and ‘would forego her own needs and wishes to satisfy the request of others around so she can be accepted.’”  The school has declared that the suit is frivolous and unfounded, but it seems undeniable that the girl was raped at least once by the boy, and on school property no less.

I wonder what their side of the story is like. Was she known as a liar before?












Trolling all SNSD fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment