Thursday 30 September 2010

Rant 632 / Social Engineering Is Engineering Too!

Was mistaken about a few things in the last few rants.

1) The semi-finals are spread over 2 days, with 1 match per day. So today it is HopeTorture vs oGsEnsnare. Whoever wins gets to play against a Fruit Dealer on the coming Saturday.

2) I'm still going to have class tomorrow but fortunately, the final match is on Saturday! Great coincidence there. So I won't have to miss the best match ever (for this season anyway).

Today's match determines who the best Terran player is in the world and it's been 2 games so far. In both games HopeTorture surprisingly used the same build although he lost in the first game to Ensnare's early attack. He succeeded in the second game when he was not brutally attacked early and managed to overwhelm Ensnare's siege tank army with Marauders.

...

The third game was won by HopeTorture through superior micro, despite the fact that he used the same early expansion build. It's as if he only knows that single build. I think it just proves that Marauders are currently overpowered.

So on Saturday we will see a Fruit Dealer defeat HopeTorture. I'm pretty damn sure a Fruit Dealer will win, even though the general consensus is that Terran is the strongest race while the Zerg is still the weakest race despite the balance changes made in the last update.

Also, his parents really are fruit dealers. The joke of his nick is obvious now. I might have mentioned this before.













After reading the first few chapters of The Art of Deception, I was kind of disappointed when I realized the author, Kevin Mitnick, was not actually a hacker despite his computer crimes. In fact he was more of a conman dealing with computer-related cons, using social engineering to gain access to various computers and such.

Since he didn't actually hack into anything using software (just found out software has no plural form), I'm not sure if he can be called a hacker.

Anyway the book made me question my actions when I was a receptionist during NS. I distinctly remember a few calls I received that I now feel suspicious about after reading the social engineering tricks described in the book.

Those calls were from a company called Oracle or something, which had a few occasions when they had to call the office numbers of some of the staff to pass a message or invite them to some event. The thing is that their numbers are usually kept secret and people outside will only know the number to the front counter.

Back then I never thought anything about them. They need to pass a verbal message to someone? Not exactly suspicious since no civilian ever calls here and so we have nothing to compare against. The whole place is strange and full of top secret stuff anyway. Heck, I don't even know if that's a civilian company or a cover for something else.

So when they tried to speak to some of the staff (they know the names) and asked me for the extension numbers, I didn't see any reason not to. For those whose numbers I don't have, I asked the warrant officer (we didn't have a RSM). I clearly remember one occasion when he asked me why I needed the number, and I did explain to him. Unfortunately I really can't remember his response. On another occasion, he just gave me the number without asking.

Now I recall something even more suspicious. There was once when I was supposed to call the caller back to pass her the number but when I called, the person who answered my call couldn't find the person I was supposed to call back. I really should have suspected something, right? So why didn't I? Man, we were actually right when we said our jobs rotted our brains. Sitting there staring at walls for the entire day really does kill brain cells.

Right now I suspect that was a group of social engineers trying to get the numbers of the staff members because when I googled "Oracle" and "Oracle Singapore" there is no company that sends invitations or messages in the results. Then again, they knew the names of the people and the number to the front desk, both of which are probably secrets.

That's another reason why when people call, we don't suspect anything.

Notice I've never posted the phone numbers or names of anyone other than those already in Wikipedia? Not sure if they're still secrets, so I'm not going to push my luck that far. For all I know, the ISD may be reading this.

Man, they should make reading books like The Art of Deception compulsory for the MPs and RPs. There are tricks inside that average people won't even suspect in their normal course of life. I know I would definitely fall for some of them if I hadn't read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment