Wednesday 22 September 2010

Rant 626 / Civ V! Civ V!

Are Singaporeans really too stressed to care?

I wouldn't know. What I do know is most don't care. I look around and what do I see? Friends filling FB with links to articles about how the poor have shitty lives here in Singapore... and that's where their commitment ends!

They spread the word then don't do shit about it. This is exactly like this following image:



The article also shared how Singapore ranked 91 out of 153 nations in the World Giving Index (WGI) released last week. Singaporeans also averaged $48 in per capita donations last year, while the US hovered around $1,000.

I don't know how much I donate. I did cause a few trees to be planted this year. Wonder how much that costs. However I do find planting trees to be more worthwhile than say, sponsoring food aids to Africans, which I guess is a significant portion of that $1000 per capita from the US.

And that nonsense about sending soccer balls to African children is a ridiculous waste of money from a practical point of view. The Africans are desperately hungry, desperate enough to destroy their own environment against the wishes of their elders to feed their families, and we're sending them balls. Oh, and don't forget the laptops from some years back too.

Genius ideas.

That's like giving free PS3 consoles to the poor people in Singapore. How the heck is it going to help them stop being poor?

Removing poverty requires a great change in the way the economy works. The problem is that most people don't like these changes. For example, in Soviet Russia and post-Revolution China, they would give blue-collar jobs to just about anyone. State-owned factories were everywhere, creating shitty jobs for everyone.

The poor would be happy. They would be able to feed themselves. But everyone else would suffer with them too. If everyone is really that committed to solving the poverty issue, capitalism wouldn't exist.

Like in Singapore, where we all love this idea called "meritocracy". Everyone knows that there will always be people who can't do anything worth shit, hence there will always be unemployed people, ie the poor. They are a natural by-product of a system which supposedly rewards everyone according to the results they can provide.

So, does anyone really want to help the poor?

I don't, and I will say this right here, right now. I want to keep this lifestyle of mine. I want a gaming computer. I want a nice bed. The poor can remain poor until I become much richer than I am now.

Some things, they just stay there at the back of our heads. Nobody wants to say these out loud and sometimes, they delude themselves into thinking the truth is otherwise. But deep down, we all know they are the undeniable facts.

We, and the system that got us to where we are today, are the reasons that the poor are poor.

I'm sorry, but when a person shits, someone has to clean it up, and I'm not going to be the latter if I can help it.













High School of the Dead is a pretty terrible anime. Plot is crap, characters aren't well developed and all the gratuitous sexy scenes got annoying after a while. Also, the panties of the walking dead does not turn on any sane man.

These 12 episodes of anime is a mockery of the current general trend of animes that tend to have lots of unnaturally well-endowed young women who seem to love to show off their assets. Why? Because the zombies in this series are merely an excuse to bring together a bunch of girls who keep getting their clothes wet, their breasts squeezed and their clothes ripped.

In the end, the theme of the entire show isn't zombies but scantily clad (and sometimes unclad) anime chicks who are frequently just a hair away from turning the show into an actual hentai series. If you thought Bleach was bad, you should watch this anime.

The plot. It's bad. The jeep and the guns, all apparently unavailable to anyone in Japan, are together a ridiculous deus ex machina. Common sense says that if anyone has that sort of arsenal, they wouldn't hide them in a flimsy metal cabinet that a crowbar can force open. And the jeep! A customized heavily armoured vehicle just parked behind a metal gate? So she could afford a tank but not a garage or something more secure?

Oh sorry. This is anime. Why am I complaining about deus ex machinas?

The way they killed zombies was also inconsistent. At first they could only kill them by hitting their heads, except that I don't see how a nail gun could kill any zombie. Nails don't spin from a nail gun, do they? So without the centrifugal force, the impact won't create any damage in their heads. Heck, even normal people can survive with a nail in the head, so why would zombies die from it?

That's not the only problem with the zombies. Since they could be killed only by hitting their heads in the first episode, I found it strange that they weren't doing so in the final episode. In fact, the zombies seem to be disabled by a katana slicing through their waists.

Other than the zombies, the humans were another problem. The cult that was started by the teacher could have been better developed. Instead, it felt like they wanted to include this sub-plot at first only to realize later that they couldn't go anywhere with it and so they just killed them off in the end.

I hope the World War Z film won't turn out to be such shit.













I r sad.

I just learnt about the optic fibre installation... and I'm pretty sure I missed my free installation deadline.

My mum first found the letter OpenNet sent and she passed it to my bro for translation. He didn't know what the fck it was about, told her it was rubbish and to show it to me for further clarifications.

I never knew about the letter until today.

It's been about a month now.

So now we're going to have to fork out $220 to get it installed.

I thought I was going to be angry. I was, for a couple of seconds. Now I'm just sad.

For the first time she gave a letter to my bro for translation instead of me, and I get this kind of bullshit result.

He's supposed to be smarter. He's in NUS, one of the top universities in the world.

Why does he disappoint me like this?

I r sad.

$220 vanishing for no good reason.

And I'm the one who's supposed to be disappointing my mother. Who does he think he is to try to take my place?

For all the vaunted achievements of modern humans, we're still just a plague of stupid on a planet already filled with retarded lifeforms.

I don't even have the User ID to log in to request for installation via the website. It's supposed to be printed in the letter. It's also 10.30pm, long after office hours.

We're so stupid, we don't even know we're stupid.

My bro was the one who suggested to me the Max Infinity plans from Starhub, just an hour ago.

Irony is fine and cool in fiction but it's a bitch to deal with in real life.

Like they often say in movies, "If you want things to be done right, you've got to do it yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment