Monday 6 September 2010

Rant 612 / Firefall Looks Good

I didn't know there are such videos of Fallout 3 out there.



I just love the long awkward silence at the end.




This is also where I got the screenshot of the Old Lady Palmer with her huge boobies.




Old Lady Palmer FTW!!





Ok this isn't a funny video. I just thought it's quite an interesting thing to do in Fallout3. The freedom to be creative is one reason why I like this game.

Other weird things I can do include:

- toggling noclip so that I can fly and go through walls and floors to see the stuff the game developers covered up instead of erasing, and enter places that are supposed to be inaccessible

- using console commands to make NPCs do crazy things, eg what Old Lady Palmer became in one of the vids above

- killing entire towns and piling their bodies or heads in one neat stack

- blowing up Megaton (the town that can be destroyed) while still inside

- playing with mines and mini-nukes to induce human flight

- being god-like in general via console commands (eg teleporting NPCs, cloning NPCs, making NPCS invulnerable, teleporting self, etc etc)

If I bother to learn to use the GECK (game editor), I can even create structures and new textures and models for the characters.











So today I cleaned the fridge. I was actually scavenging for food when I finally got really annoyed by the state the interior of the fridge was in. My mum has this habit of putting all leftovers in the fridge, just like everyone else. But unlike them, she does not have the habit of remembering when everything was put in and hence does not remove anything from it.

No one's ever told me to do it and I usually don't because our family never had the habit of cleaning the fridge regularly anyway. Just one of the two things I've only recently learnt that should be done on a regular basis, the other being to dry the dishes after washing and before stacking them.

So I did it today out of pure annoyance. I had half a mind to just dump everything down the chute, but in the end I left all seven packets of margarine and all the stuff her acquaintances from work sent her from HK plus some stuff that haven't expired yet. Everything that had no expiry date, even if they don't look colourfully disgusting, goes out and down.

What I observed during the process was akin to what I saw in some US TV show in which they sent people to clean houses that haven't been cleaned for years. There were red goo underneath everything on the top level which I eventually traced to a packet of oyster mushroom which I did not try to look closely at, an unidentifiable brown powdery stuff over half the stuff the second level and some light brown watery liquid on the third.

The mild smell resulting from my uncovering all the decomposing matter was not nearly as disgusting as what I saw. The glue-like goo on the first level is the main reason why I did not bother to wipe it. First, it meant taking out the plastic board and clearing an area in the kitchen so that I can clean it without worrying that some of the dirty water might splatter into something that I'd have to clean later. Second, it's going to take a long time to scrub that off. Third, I'm pissed.

Currently considering the idea of keeping no leftovers at all. I think I'll do it. I don't care if it pisses her off anymore. She's not the one cleaning the fridge. This is the third time I'm cleaning the fridge in recent years, and I'm the only person doing it my family. The housekeepers never do it other than one of the Chinese ones we used to hire, but she's married and disappeared now.

...

Done. Now, other than the milk and fresh meat, there's nothing in the fridge that's going to rot within 3 months from now. Completely sure the milk will be consumed very soon, so no worries there. But I've thrown away four of the older-looking packets of margarine. She probably won't miss them anyway, because if she remembered about them she wouldn't have bought more.

Yes I'm pissed but I'm also the only fridge cleaner here.

The freezer is still full of stuff though. I'm going to clear it someday, once I figure out how I can pick the crap from the stack without nearly getting frostbite. Have to clear it soon because my ice cubes are beginning to develop a tiny, almost-undetectable flavour, including the less-than-seven-days-old batches. A few days ago I added some of the half-melted cubes from my mug that had previously contained iced Pepsi into my tea. The tea then tasted kind of funky. Yea, I'll never do it again.


All I wanted was some food. :-\

But some things have to be done, and someone's got to do them.












Actually that isn't the most disgusting rotting stuff I've ever had to clear. Once I found this packet of raw vegetable stacked in the giant stack of... well, stuff in the kitchen. The vegetables had decomposed to the point where the packet was dripping some sort of liquid I really don't want to think about down into the rest of the stack.

Fortunately most of the stuff below were wrapped in plastic and the flow was concentrated in one stream, so I just had to rinse the bags. Unfortunately the stream ended in the little basket of spices and onions and ginger, the bottom of which collected all the liquid.

Again, I was lucky enough that the basket was layered with a piece of aluminium foil before the other stuff was placed in it. So all I had to do was try to pick the clean garlic cloves, give up after removing a few and flip the basket over a plastic bag so that the foil and throw it away.

Covering the basket with foil again was easy. Forgetting the stream and the pool was not.



But the most horrifying thing I've seen at home was not that either. My mum cleaned that, not me.

The drain next to the washing machine was clogged. The plunger did not work. So my mum removed the cover and HOLY FUCK ALL THE THE BLACK STUFF HANGING BELOW WAS BEYOND DISGUSTING!!!




So after typing the above I did some googling and found that baking soda and vinegar is a good way to clear clogged drains. But that doesn't clean the drain filters, which apparently is a necessity. That means I have to leave the drain filter on and, someday, clean it. Definitely not looking forward to that.












I still don't completely understand why Christianity is criticized so much more than other religions and yet remain one of the largest today (ignoring the differences between denominations).

Why doesn't anyone mention this sort of thing about Buddhist scriptures? I don't see Muslims spamming similar websites about Islam either. Is it because Christian history is different from, say, Jewish history?

I'm pretty sure all the religious people in all ages in all religions sincerely believed they were interpreting their texts correctly, no matter what they actually did by following their interpretations. I'm sure it won't change too.

This is an example of how all logic is based on certain assumptions, and it is these assumptions that make debatable issues debatable. Actually, they aren't debatable if you really think about it, since there's really nothing to say if the logic on all sides is sound. In the end you will never get anywhere but "I'm right and you're wrong."

But how can one change these assumptions? This is actually close to impossible because to change them is to change the very foundation upon which the person made his past decisions. Once they are changed, some of the choices he has made can no longer be justified. Depending on the seriousness of these, the person may persist in believing in his original assumptions so that he would not be devastated by the emotional impact that would follow the change.

This may be one reason why it can be hard to convert a Scientologist. All that money that they have to spend needs to be justified. Or, for that matter, any religious leader because they have dedicated their lives to their religions. If they convert, they would go something like "OH SHIT I HAVE WASTED SO MUCH OF MY LIFE!" except a million times stronger.













Now I'm beginning to see 4chan being trolled by this very interesting line of reasoning that buying second-hand games is no different from piracy.

When you buy a game from your friend, the developers make no profit from the second sale, yet the both of you have enjoyed the game.

When you download a game from a software pirate, the result is the same.

Therefore, when you buy a second-hand game, it is the same as pirating it.

Along the same line of thought, one can also say that if you wait till a game's price drops from $50 to $10 before you buy it, you're only slightly better than a pirate (though to the game developers the difference is negligible so you're as good as a pirate anyway).

So I'm going to try to spot the fallacy here. The only difference here is that when the friend sold you the game, he exchanged the right to replay the game for the amount of money you paid him, which I'd say is a fair deal.


Actually this logic is true from the point of view of the developers. To them, second-hand sales do not benefit them financially anymore than piracy does. The same goes for the point of view of stores that sell first-hand games.

However in the larger picture, pirates spread the games to more people than second-hand sales would per first-hand sale, assuming the first pirate had to buy a copy in the first place.












Just found this Sarpino's flyer at home recently. The prices actually look pretty good. I think I will switch to Sarpino's next time.















Firefall looks very good and it's going to be f2p (free to play) with an item shop. Too bad it's expected to be released in the end of 2011 (which translates to somewhere in 2012 in our time :P). Looking forward to trying it. Already bookmarked the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment