Monday 27 September 2010

Rant 630 / If It's All Greek To You, What If You're Greek?

First Choice brand's dental floss sucks. It's so rough even though it's supposed to be waxed! I used to use Oral-B's dental floss, which is thicker and I feel almost nothing when I floss. This First Choice floss makes me feel like I dragging a fckin rope between my teeth and it comes apart quickly.

I only began to floss more frequently in recent years because I'm finding the gaps in my teeth to be large enough to get me concerned.

...

Ok nvm.The second time I used it wasn't so bad. Maybe it's just the thread on the starting end.











Snake in a Room! Nobody is impressed by India's handling of the matter because they've had years to prepare. Actually, I am impressed... by the degree to which they are fucking it up.













So now we have check the IDs properly when someone says they're sent by the government. Or else, it's a good idea to learn some self defence skills, like how to make sulphuric acid and storing it somewhere near the door. Or else, molotov cocktails and lighters are fine too. But sulphuric acid in a glass bottle is easier to handle.













Gold finally hits US$1300/oz, which used to be a funny joke just like oil hitting US$100/barrel. Is this a bubble? If it isn't, lots of people must be feeling really insecure about the world economy.













Front Mission Evolved releasing soon. It's the latest in the Front Mission series which are all mecha-themed turn-based tactical games. The last time I played one was when I was still playing my PS2, and that was Front Mission 4.

But this is yet another action-rpg, which I'm not interested in. Hmm..












So sage is called 鼠尾草 and 琴柱草 in Chinese, the former being the more common name. Pretty rarely used in Chinese cuisine but apparently it's widely used in European dishes since it's native to the Mediterranean region.

Currently using it to make this dish that involves wrapping a piece of chicken breast with a sage leaf (and some pepper and salt) in a slice of parma ham.

Not going well with the first experimental try because I forgot to turn the timer dial all the way, so it turned off some time ago and I have no idea how long it was baked out of the 15mins I waited in my room. Couldn't hear the oven's "ding" either because I had my door closed.

...

Ok it's salty as expected, but the chicken itself didn't absorb all the salt so if I remove some of the parma ham it's actually pretty good. A few of the chicken breasts also had too much sage because I added 3 small leaves when I couldn't find a large one. 2 should have been enough, I guess.

Also, it's not dry at all because the water vapour did not evaporate when I wrapped them in foil before baking.

The dried basil I added didn't make any difference. I might have added too little but it was not part of the recipe anyway.

I think I will do this again. It's actually easy, simple and the results are worth the effort. Except for the sage. Sage cannot be found in my neighbourhood at all. Even fresh basil is available in the bazaar once in a while, but no one ever sells sage here.

I buy it from Cold Storage at Holland V. Costs S$1.95 for 3 stalks.

What I did:

1) Mixed salt, pepper and dried basil in a small bowl. Eyeballed all amounts, should have added very little salt.
2) Placed a slice of parma ham on a piece of aluminium foil.
3) Placed a piece of chicken breast on one end of the ham.
4) Using a metal spoon, sprinkled a little of the seasoning mixture from 1) onto the breast.
5) Placed 1 large sage leaf or 2-3 small ones on top of the seasoning.
6) Wrapped breast in ham
7) After wrapping enough chicken breasts, covered the chicken breasts by folding the foil over them.
8) Baked at 100 degrees Celsius (most recipes asked for 200 Fahrenheit, which is 93 degrees Celsius, but the minimum for my oven is 100) for 25 mins.
9) Cut one piece into halves, checked whether they're thoroughly cooked.
10) Consumed them.



Also realized that those Western food stalls that used to open in my neighbourhood by actual white chefs used sage in their chicken chops. I never knew the taste of sage until now. Anyway all those stalls are closed because their prices were too high and we still haven't got used to their cuisines.


After finishing them, I think I should chop the sage up next time to spread them evenly.












Civ 5 really lags my computer, and not just the game itself. Even now as I type while letting it run in the background, my words are appearing slightly later than usual. I'm only playing a 3v3v3 game.













Quarter-finals in the TG-Intel Open on www.gomtv.com today and a Fruit Dealer played two epic games against oGsInCa.

The first game featured a rare gamble when a Fruit Dealer did a 5-pool, rushed Zergling and won. In the second he went for quick Banelings and basically owned InCa with Zerglings and Banelings at first, then Roaches.

The only Zerg in the semifinals is a Fruit Dealer. This is noteworthy because apparently Zergs are underpowered in the current version of SC2 and has been for a long time.

His games are always interesting. It may be his name, but his style seems to make the games more interesting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment