Tuesday 18 May 2010

Rant 547 / Tipping For Potable Water

Organizing an overseas trip from scratch is very different from what I expected. It's not difficult but there's a certain procedure to it that I'm figuring out with some help.

For example, I can't just Google "Perhentian Islands" and compare all the chalet/hotel prices I see. Google isn't specialized enough for this and the results it provides are not optimal.

The right way is to search Google for travellers' websites and filter through the reviews and comments. Booking accommodations itself is a separate matter. I have to search for hotel-booking websites for this before comparing prices.

Everytime I send an email updating the others on the situation in case there are objections, I get reminded of why Free and Easy packages are so popular. Quite a bit of clicking, remembering and thinking about everyone's preferences are necessary when you're choosing your own accommodations and transports.

Even when my late father travelled across Europe alone before he got married, he went on packaged tours. Then again, he used to own a factory in those days. There's also that matter of the absence of the Internet in the 70's.

One issue at Perhentian Islands that I'm slightly concerned about is the lack of potable water. Apparently not all of the resorts have it running from the taps. Some provide refills but I'll probably need to tip every time I call for a new bottle. Ugh. I hope they like 2RM tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment