Tuesday 4 May 2010

Rant 536 / 夕陽醉了

Just watched True Legend. Not a good movie. Great packaging, inferior content. I blame the director and scriptwriters.

The film consists of two stories, which I consider as cheating. It should have been 2 separate short films with the same protagonist. Here, I suspect the second story about the arena was inserted because the first and original story was only 1 hour 15mins long. This second part was 30mins long, making the entire film 1 hour 45 mins in length.

The main story was full of inconsistencies. One major flaw was when he just digging up his wife, he didn't just smash the box open even though he had been crushing rocks and thick clay jars with his bare fists just for training. Plus he was panicking, so he wouldn't have considered why he shouldn't punch a hole into the box.

Another is how he seemed to recover so easily after going mad. People don't just dismiss their hallucinations just by telling them to go away. If curing madness was that simple his wife wouldn't have feared that he had gone crazy when she saw him training with the air.

All the special effects made the whole movie looked pretty nice except for the trailing effect when the protagonist was breakdancing in the restaurant. Oh right, they called it Drunken Fist. Nonsense! That was definitely breakdancing. Anyway the trailing effect that was supposed to make him look like he was spinning really fast looked really cheesy to me.

The worst performance among the actors was by David Carradine. I know he's dead but I'm still saying he sucked in this movie. He sounded far too calm when his fighters were getting trashed by a single man even though his words seemed to be otherwise. They probably highlighted his name in the ending credits with a box because his acting was so atrocious they wanted to separate his name from the rest.

The plot (I mean the first story because the second had no plot, kinda like a Chinese wushu version of Mortal Kombat) was shallow. The hate of the villain was underdeveloped. It's like one day he was merely some jealous lieutenant of the hero, the next day he was some insane guy hellbent on killing his adopted father.

He looked like he was in his mid-twenties when he had his revenge and he said he had waited for eighteen years. That means he was about seven years old when it happened. It didn't even make sense that he would love his biological father that much and hated his new father to that degree, especially since he was apparently treated very well by his adopted family since he was seven.

Finally I'd just like to mention that when Su Can he left his camp without a word, it was called "desertion". From what I know, desertion is a major crime in every single army in human history. It didn't make sense that he was not hunted down by anyone. Don't tell me it wasn't desertion. His prince was going to make him a governor and he did not reject the offer. Therefore he did not inform his superiors of his departure. That had to be desertion.

This movie was not very bad. All the fight scenes and special effects were very good . As I've said, it had excellent packaging.













Just a few songs I grew up on. Not that I listened to these in particular but my late father used to play these (some of them on vinyl records) on his hi-fi system that had 2 huge wooden speakers. We brought it from HK when we came to Singapore and my mum threw it away several years after he passed away. No one else was using it and the record player was broken anyway.










I remember I used to sing 太陽星辰 without knowing what the words meant. Just one of the many songs I sang as a child through pure mimicry. This is how I learnt to sing.







And finally, the song that sparked my sudden interest in Jacky Cheung's older songs. Part of the chorus tune appeared in my mind and made me want to listen to the rest of the song. I didn't even remember who sang this song and searched through all of Youtube's videos that had his name on a hunch.

When you hear the chorus you will know why I can remember it even 15 years after I last listened to this.

夕陽醉了



Ok here's one that isn't that old.



Once upon a time, Jack Cheung was your age.










I wanted to add an autoplay loop of The Song That Never Ends from Lamb Chop's Play-Along but didn't. Thought it would be funny for a while but when I finally found a way to make a Youtube video autoplay, it felt way too childish.

What have I become?!?


Anyway you can make it autoplay by adding "&autoplay=1" to its link. For example, a link would appear like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6MWbv5tctw&playnext_from=TL&videos=EBKeI8O6uTE&feature=grec

The actual video link is really just this part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6MWbv5tctw

while the rest are the additional settings. So just add the lines I mentioned to either links, eg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6MWbv5tctw&playnext_from=TL&videos=EBKeI8O6uTE&feature=grec&autoplay=1

There, it now autoplays. This can be used for embedded videos in your blog too. The guide I found said that adding "loop=1" would make it loop but it doesn't work probably because Youtube added specific codes that tells the video player to stop and display related video links at the end.












Once upon a time when the forms of desktops were not set yet, people were still trying innovative shapes for the keyboard.
I think it's obvious why this didn't catch on. I certainly don't want to hit the keys with my fingernails, which may happen often when using the keys that were placed vertically.

Still, this shows us that the set up we have today didn't just appear overnight.












Ending this with a completely unrelated image for immatured giggles.


Got incest?

No comments:

Post a Comment