Sunday 16 May 2010

Rant 545 / Wormgrass

Just read a few articles in this month's National Geographic Magazine. The one about the trade between China and Tibet, exchanging horses with tea, was very interesting because it mentioned cordyceps aka 虫草.

My mum used to tell me that it's a sort of herb that contains the eggs of certain worms. Strangely the NG journalist referred to it as a "caterpillar". So was it really a caterpillar or did he misunderstand the Tibetans?

So I went online and checked. Sure enough, 虫草 is really a mummified caterpillar whose insides was completely consumed and replaced by the roots (aka mycelium) of the cordycep fungus.

The orange parts are the dried caterpillars. The black parts that protrudes from the heads of the carcasses are the fruiting bodies of the mushrooms.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK!

It would have been very much less disgusting if it was just the fungus.














Unlike McDonald's, both PizzaHut and KFC still do not have security measures to prevent fake orders. For McDelivery orders using cash payment, they would send a PIN via SMS to the handphone number registered to the account. The user would then enter the PIN online to confirm the order.

The other 2 merely take your word for it. True, they may log your IP but free proxies and TOR would prevent their simple softwares from finding out the origin of that order. It's unlikely they have softwares that can track down an IP covered by those two measures.

This only shows how nice Singaporeans are.













Sometimes when I read other people's comments on Reuters I think I get a feel of what it's like for others to read the stuff I type here. Obnoxious. Retarded. How did he come up with that misconception?

It's like when I used to say things against the use of crude oil. Our essays in GP and English classes that praise environmentalism and vilify fossil fuels, they are all the same. I guess we're all well-trained in the art of hypocrisy.

How can one write an essay on a plastic desk using a plastic pen on the evils of petroleum and not be a hypocrite? How can one write on a clean sheet of lined paper the benefits of saving trees and not see it as hypocrisy?

It just makes me laugh to think that we are all so full of shit. I thought it's just me but I guess I was wrong. It's just so fuckin funny!

Imagine me going "YEAH PROTECT OUR TREES SAVE MOTHER NATURE STOP USING PETROL ENGINES YEAH!!!!" on a 600W computer consuming electricity generated by burning natural gas, a type of fossil fuel. It looks so stupid now, I can't believe I did that so wholeheartedly.

We can't go that extreme in this, not when we are using what we're using. Suggest that we use less, fine. But to go so far as to say that we should stop using oil completely, now that's bullshit.

Fact is, we are so dependent on oil we don't even notice it. Look around you. No, look in front of you. You don't even need to shift your head and you can likely find at least 5 plastic objects. Right here I have my handphone, a clock, a portable hard disk, a monitor, a brush and many other stuff. Without oil, I wouldn't even have a computer.

Without oil, all Singaporeans would have Japanese-like diets, ie full of seafood. Not to mention we'd be broke without our oil refineries. Rice and most other crops would have relatively exorbitant prices since we have to import everything. In short, Temasek would have remained Temasek, a mosquito-filled swampy island.

We cannot simply stop using oil. We're addicted to it the way heroin addicts are to the white powder. All alternative sources of energy simply aren't as cost-effective. Recently I came across this movie called Daybreakers, a 2009 film. We're exactly like those vampires down to their situation in which they were running out of human blood to consume. To revert back to our pre-oil state would be just as painful as when they reverted back to humans but in a different way.







Anyway I started this because I wanted to say that sometimes it just isn't pleasant to know the opinions of everyone. Maybe we should all just keep our voices down no matter how right we think we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment