Monday 24 November 2008

Rant 234 / Indecision

Will I be able to get anywhere if I decide to switch to Linguistics and Multilingual Studies? If I ever study again after these 4 years, this will be my first choice. Thinking about these 2 years, I find that the only modules I actually liked were the foreign language courses. Then again, they were all at the basic level and I didn't ace any of them. Oh well...

No wonder I'd never heard of it - this course started this year! It will definitely be easy for anyone to tell me to "go for it" because they aren't the ones taking it. An Engineering degree is much more practical, I believe, but I have little interest in it. Maybe I should, but I'll be the first among my cousins, brother and I to take a relatively useless degree. Oh wait... maybe not. I do have a cousin who did his PhD in some history-related major. :P

Hmm............................

This will be one of the biggest decision I'll ever make, a life-changing sort of thing that I rarely resort to.

Tough one. This LMS major isn't "proven", while Mechanical Engineering is. There are few stats for LMS, while with M. Engineering I'm practically guaranteed a job (but not guaranteed a well-paying one because I'm also including jobs that I'll be overqualified for). Only reason in favour of LMS is my interest.

Tough one. One of my cousins told me to choose my major based on interest. I never took that advice because he comes from a wealthy family and he can study anything he wants. In fact, he's already got 2 degrees. I, on the other hand, need to have a degree that I can actually use to make a decent living. I have no idea if LMS is one of those.

Tough one. I want to decide later, but that is the procrastinator in me talking. That may also be because I have two papers for my core modules tomorrow. What I'm thinking now is that if I actually decide to switch, these papers won't matter.

Tough one. I can't make such a decision in a day. Too much haste for a decision of this magnitude. If I abandon these papers, that would be no different from making the decision now. No, too rash.

I want to see my results for this semester before deciding, but it will be too late. I want to know if I can even graduate with an M. Engineering degree with ease. I think I won't, but I want further confirmation.

If I switch my major, there will not be a chance to reverse it. I can't reload a saved game here. Plus if I have to begin from first year, which is quite likely, I'll be 3 years behind everyone else my age. Fuck!

I see I have no choice but to procrastinate. I must wait for myself to cool down a little before deciding. Perhaps I shall email the proper office to ask about how I can switch my major. Wonder if I even qualify for the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment